Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another Limited / No Connection Situation

• Please log in to reply

Saving Stars

Saving Stars

• Pip
  • 2 posts
General Overview: I just built a new computer and have not been able to access the internet. Over the last three days, I've spent about 10 or 11 hours troubleshooting it and browsing the internet for possible solutions, seeing if I couldn't find any answers on my own so I wouldn't have to bother anyone with a question that has already been answered =)

A Little More Specific: I connect through a D-Link DI-524 Router (it's a wireless router, but all of the computers are wired through to it), and all of my other computers work just fine. Up until the new computer replaced my old one, it had worked just fine. When I first installed Windows, I couldn't connect to the internet through the motherboard (Asus M2R32-MVP) input (Limited / No Connectivity, couldn't acquire a network address), so I brought in a really old 3Com router from an old computer and it worked. Barely. I just couldn't top speeds of 3kb/s, and about two hours later, it wouldn't load up anything. It appeared to be completely connected, but just wouldn't load anything. The same was still happening to the MB with the L/NC problem. I installed all possible updated drivers for everything (NIC, all MB drivers, etc), updated BIOS, etc etc, and nothing worked. So I went out and bought a brand new Linksys EG1032 NIC, and instantly had the same problems, where it wouldn't acquire a network address and had L/NC.

Troubleshooting I've Tried This is not all of what I have tried, but it's the most common solutions that I've done, haha. Through setting alternate configurations ins TCP/IP configs, I've managed to connect and have even had the status listed as "Connected", but still was not able to use any bandwidth. I've released / renewed my IP address, but cannot connect to DHCP. I've released and and renewed the router through this computer, to no avail. I'm not terribly experienced with computers (especially software, *especially* networking, haha), but I'm experienced enough that I've built and maintained my last three computers for myself and the last 4 for members of my family, so I like to think I'm at least marginally inclined, haha. I don't know how many times I've reinstalled Windows, updated drivers, reboot, rinse, repeat, reset routers, reset the modem, reboot, rinse, repeat copy/paste into Notepad and run up two flights of stairs and execute to no avail and run back down two more and net ranger my way to the next solution that doesn't quite fix my problem. It's getting frustrating! =D

So at last, having seen the majority of possible fixes come from this website, I decided to register and see if anyone would be willing to try and help me out. It seems like it would be *such* a simple solution, because the problem appears so straightforward... it might just be that I'm overcomplicating it and can't see the answer sitting right in front of me.

Also worth noting: Although I can't 100% confirm its' functioning, I don't believe the problem to be a faulty cable. Not only did it worked perfectly up until the new computer, but it even partially worked on the new comp with that old 3Com NIC, while simulataneously having the problem with the MB ethernet adapter. I mention this because the cable is a bit difficult to maneuver, seeing that it is running through two stories of the house via an air duct. =)

Any help is amazingly appreciated!

-Justin

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried connecting this PC directly to the modem yet? is the wireless card active on it? (shouldn't make a difference but at this point why not ask right?) also...any firewalls on the new one?

Saving Stars

Saving Stars

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
*laughs out loud*

Well, in directly connecting it to the modem, the internet worked just fine... so I think we've just narrowed it down to a conflict between my computer and the router =P I tried plugging the cable into the other ports that I know are working (that are being used by the other computers), and the new computer still won't connect. I just reconfigured the router with the new computer connected to it, and it still isn't working.

As I was typing this, I took another look at DLink's support page, and apparently the firmware I downloaded was *not* the updated version. I had accidentally downloaded the generic firmware they shipped it with, so it wasn't updated at all. That was the issue, I clicked on the wrong link and had expired firmware.

I never would've checked it out again though, if it weren't for your getting it narrowed down to it being a router/pc conflict, haha. I really appreciate the help =D

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so FW update got you going? cool deal