Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I safely delete my regedit domains?

• Please log in to reply

jlr1

jlr1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
While deleting items in regedit (that I found during a Spybot search) I discovered that under Hkey-Current User/Software/Microsoft/Window/Current Version/Internet Settings/Zonemap/Domains that I have at least a couple hundred "domains" listed. The majority are easy to identify as sexually oriented and perverse. Can I delete the batch of these? I don't know that they cause a problem in my computer as I don't get any sexually oriented pop ups but I don't like them on my hard drive. Thank you, jlr1

Edited by jlr1, 20 April 2005 - 10:36 AM.

Advertisements

hungryfish

hungryfish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I would like to know the answer to that as well, I have a lot of them.

WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Have you used a program that adds URLs to the Resticted Sites zone in IE? (like Spybot or SpywareBlaster) I just went to Hkey-Current User/Software/Microsoft/Window/Current Version/Internet Settings/Zonemap/Domains and I think those are the sites Spybot added to my Resticted Sites zone. (but I'm not positive)

Edited by WhyBeNormal, 06 May 2005 - 10:10 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

While deleting items in regedit (that I found during a Spybot search) I discovered that under Hkey-Current User/Software/Microsoft/Window/Current Version/Internet Settings/Zonemap/Domains that I have at least a couple hundred "domains" listed.  The majority are easy to identify as sexually oriented and perverse.  Can I delete the batch of these?  I don't know that they cause a problem in my computer as I don't get any sexually oriented pop ups but I don't like them on my hard drive.  Thank you,  jlr1

View Post

I've only got my local ISP listed. There are none listed in my Restricted Zone in IE by Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Just match these domains against what you do have in the restricted Zone. If they are NOT in that zone, then check the others. If they are listed anywhere else other than the Restricted Zone, remove them. Better yet...move them all to the Restricted Zone.

Ron