Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disabled Administrator Access

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Suddenly, I don't have access to administrator things, like the Task Manager, or System Restore. I am an administrator though.
Help would be wonderful.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello zestron,

That seems quite strange, you can't easily edit group policy settings in XP Home (unless this is an XP Pro system).

Try the following fix for Task Manager:
http://windowsxp.mvp...nager_error.htm

Try the following fix for System Restore:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

Regards,

Ax

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
zestron

A lot of times this is also a policy set in by malware. Does your system seam to be running a bit slower? Does anyone else have active to the computer?

If your system is running a bit slower then it used to and no one else has access to the computer.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Okay, well now my system restore half works, by saying: System Restore has been turned off. Do you want to turn on System Restore now?
And task manager works.
Regedit doesn't work, I can't imagine how many other things wont work.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
To determine if System Restore is enabled on your system, Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools, and click System Restore

If you receive a pop-up stating "System Restore has been turned off. Do you want to turn on System Restore now?", then obviously System Restore has been disabled. Click Yes to enable System Restore. In the resulting System Properties window, ensure that the check box "Turn off System Restore on all drives" is NOT checked then click the Apply button. In the listing of the available drives, "Monitoring" should now be listed beside each drive listed. Choose OK to close the window.

I noticed that you did post a HJT log. I would suggest leaving things as they are for right now, including System Restore. You can follow the above instructions if necessary once completed in the malware forum. Your regedit problem will most likely be solved once your log is clean. Hold tight and you'll receive assistance in that forum. Let's put this thread on pause until your log has been declared clean.

Regards,

Ax