Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Confusion due to old age and Intel cpu's

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi. I'm hoping one of you will help with this. Being a novice is getting to be a pain in the butt.
I'm hoping to build a new pc for my wife and me.
I'm looking at the Core2 Duo cpu's and am getting lost.
The E6600 costs more than the E6700 which apparently costs more than the E6750.
Why? The higher the number the newer the cpu.
I was hoping to get the E6750 so that it didn't become a dinosaur tooo quickly. Will be using it for office apps. and music/photo's etc.. No gaming at this time.
If I can get away with the E6750 that would be a good start.
Thanks for your time.
J.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there jst42day!

Yes, the E6750 is newer and has a higher FSB. As you have noticed, it's also cheaper, making it a bargain :) I currently have one in my system, it's fantastic and a good performer for the price. Why? Well, I don't know. But who cares, it's a bargain! :)

On you dinosaur comment, well, anything in technology ages pretty quick, but these are still a fairly new processor, and you should be able to get a good two years out of it with a good build. (Or more, depending on how long you want to stick with it).

Please, if you have any other questions, we're happy to help. Feel free to post information on each part you are intending for the build, and we can help you with compatibility and/or better deals for your budget.

Cheers :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Its all about Supply and Demand, I learned it this year in economics. There was a high demand for the E6600 back when I purchased mine and now since there might be a shortage and an excess of E6750s they are lowering the price so that people will have to go for the E6750, I mean who wouldn't? Its better and faster so why not pay less and get more?

Soorena

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Thanks to both of you.
The info is a big help.
J.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I mean who wouldn't? Its better and faster so why not pay less and get more?

People who have a motherboard that only supports the 1066FSB, that's who wouldn't. Just make sure your motherboard is capable of supporting 1333FSB processors, and you're laughing like this ---> :)

Edited by troy, 04 December 2007 - 04:51 PM.