Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fan is making noise

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I tend to believe that there is something wrong with the sensor but I am not sure yet. Please report about the question I repeated twice: Do the fans speen freely? Are they noisy?

To entet the BIOS:

Boot the computer and enter into the BIOS menu by repeatedly tapping the DEL or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you do not succeed, press the PAUSE key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter SETUP.

Advertisements

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
yes....the fans spin freely. the cpu fan does make a little noise as it is running.

i went into the bios but could not find anything about alarms or computer health. i went thru every option on the menu.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Going back to the beginning of this thread: If the noise bothers you and if you relate it to the cpu fan (have you tried to disconnect it like I suggested before? Read all the related precautions) you can replace it. In most cases you have to replace the whole assembly (fan + heatsink). If you decide to do this let us know and we'll instruct you. It's quite simple but you must have a good quality thermal paste and do some surface cleaning.

I know for a fact that Dell didn't include temp sensors in many of their models. I suspect that the same is with your computer. Just to make sure, please write down the model of your machine.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks for continuing to follow up with me. My machine is a Dell precision workstation 330. The CPU fan is seperate from the heatsink- it is right next to it and Dell included a green cover around the fan and the heatsink in order to improve the cooling efficiency of the fan. I will replace the fan tomorrow via radioshack. There is no compusa near my house. Hopefully i will not have any other problems.

* Edit- went to radioshack and they do not carry the same size fan. I ended up ordering it online. It will be at my house on Wednesday.

Edited by Namflow, 10 December 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
got the new fan installed.....but the computer is still making noise :) It's like vroom vroom pause vroom vroom vroom vroom pause vroom vroom constantly. Not very loud but something sounds like it is struggling. So far the computer is working fine. Do I just ignore the noise until something breaks?

*Edit- after the computer warmed up, the vroom vroom sound has disappeared. I think its all good!

****EDIT- still making noise. Vroom vroom and another sound like the processor or hd is going a mile a minute but it is not (at least according to the windows task manager)

Edited by Namflow, 12 December 2007 - 10:43 PM.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I had the same issues when I changed from a Celeron 2GB to a Prescott 3.2GB on the same motherboard. I bought a better CPU fan and a larger case with more installed fans, and it's gone from 80oC to around 30oC and doesn't go much over 45oC at full load. I don't know what sort of CPU fan you have but ensure it's installed properly and perhaps put some paste on it.

Not saying it'll work but it worked for me. Keep your case open and use sensors and see if there's a difference. It doesn't sound like a power issue because of the heat it's producing, but it does sound like it's shutting down because of the heat.

Probably no help at all, but good luck.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Lately I had a case in which some sort of vibration caused resonance of the box, creating noise resembling the one you describe. I couldn't locate the source of the rattle since I had no tools with me but I am almost convinced that it was the power supply. Probably the fan bearing was wearing out or it got somehow slightly out of ballance.

If it annoys you you can disconnect the power, open the box, take the psu out, leave all cables connected, place the psu on a strong piece of cardboard or plywood and boot the computer. This will help you to locate the source of the noise. Do the same with the hard disk if you suspect that the noise is from there. Sometimes plain, old style good mechanics help you solve problems with computers.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
that sounds like a great idea! Thanks for your help again. I will try to conduct this test over the weekend and reply with the results.