Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a problem with Windows Movie Maker...

• Please log in to reply

Dameon (Patron of Healing)

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Greetings all. Among a various array of problems, there are several that worry me, but none more than this and another that I shall post later in the apporoate forum (it's a printer problem).

I recently tried making a movie with Windows Movie Maker, and out of the blue, when I saved it as a movie from the project file, I was able to get sounds, any default video (such as the countdown, any slides I had made myself with words), but none of the video came out. Why is this going on? There aren't any error messages; it just doesn't show. Should I post any hijack logs or anything? I'd appericate a fast as possible response; I kinda need to make this video for a school project.

Thank you in advance. :)

- Dameon

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the video is in its own compressed format that Movie Maker can't read.
A golden rule of thumb is to always use .AVI files (raw uncompressed video) before feeding them into Movie Maker, bearing in mind the program will compress them anyway in order so Media Player can play them.
Yes, raw uncompressed video takes obscene amounts of space but its a universal solution and you can always burn the raw video to another drive or purge it later.

The accepted formats for import are .WMV/.ASF, .MPG (MPEG-1), .AVI (DV-AVI), .WMA, .WAV, and .MP3. Additionally, the Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate editions of Movie Maker support importing MPEG-2 Program streams and DVR-MS formats. Import of other container formats such as MP4/3GP, FLV and MOV is not supported.

Edited by Neil Jones, 04 December 2007 - 03:19 PM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did try what you suggested, however, it still does not work. From one day to the next, it refused to save it. Is there a way I can disinstall WMM or do I have to reset everything?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is more likely an issue with your Media Player than anything else.
Burn the file to a CD and take it to another computer with working Media Player and see what happens. If it plays, cool. If it doesn't, not cool.

peakie22

peakie22

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
May be a complete red herring but I've sometimes solved problems with lack of video by temporarily turning off or reducing hardware acceleration whilst actually doing the "save movie file".

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have attempted both suggestions and sadly, neither work. What now?