Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer not booting past Windows screen

• Please log in to reply

Soap Queen

Soap Queen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Compaq Presario SR1318NX, purchased Feb. 2005. I began receiving an error message on a black screen a couple of weeks ago which said "Hard Drive.... S.M.A.R.T.: status bad, press f2 to continue. I would do that and the computer would work normally, except for the mouse freezing occasionally - I would reboot and all would be fine.

Last Thursday, the computer would not get past the Windows loading screen, the blue bar under "Windows" scrolls across several times, then it freezes. I did some searching on the forums here and found some possible solutions, which I tried. I ran a virus scan and found a couple of viruses in the Java folder, I deleted them from the computer but that didn't solve the problem. I ran Hijack This and it was clean. I also looked at Event Viewer and it had several red X's, most of them being in True Vector Service, Application Hang and Application Error. Sunday I installed an additional fan because I could hear the ones in there kicking up into a higher speed when I was running a virus scan; the scan didn't finish before the computer shut itself down. Last night I used the Recovery Disk and ran chkdsk /r. It went through 75% of the C drive, then it said "there seems to be an unrecoverable error." I would appreciate any direction as to what the problem might be. I don't want to reformat the hard drive if I don't have to; I was not able to back up all my files prior to not being able to access the computer.

Thanks,
Louise

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to CTH:

Sounds like your hdd is on its way out.

Do you have a floppy drive on this system?

If so, you need to go to the hdd manufacturers website and download their diagnostic program.

Place that on a floppy and boot your computer using the floppy.

You could also try slaving your hdd to another system and copying your files, etc to that system - just in case.

Murray

Soap Queen

Soap Queen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't have a floppy, just a CD drive - can I download it to a CD? I do have another computer, I just need to figure out how to slave the drive and copy the files. Thanks for the fast reply, I have learned a lot by searching the boards here!

Louise

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Check the website once you know the manufacturer.

Many of them have .iso files that can't be burned to a cd that hold the diagnostic program.

Murray