Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"please select modem" after restarting computer

Best Answer myqs , 13 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

Goodevening Ax (and Sari :-)) Thank you for solving my little problem, and answering all my questions. I am very happy that I found out about this website, and I am going to advise it to my friend... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

myqs

myqs

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dear Geekstogo,

After being assisted by Sari from the "malware department", (what a great service!!!), my computer now has a problem which belongs more to the "hardware department".

My computer, laptop Samsung X05, (windows xp) has been infected by several malware.
We seem to have fixed everything, more information can be read on:

http://www.geekstogo...us-t178048.html

During solving the problems I have had before, a new thing came up.

Everytime I restart the computer, windows opens a window asking me to "select a modem", giving only one option, a SENS modem.
Apparantly this modem is the one built in my laptop. I am not using that modem, since I use mobile internet through usb.

I have had multiple scans run, but none of them find evidence of a dialer...

Uninstalling the modem and restarting the computer, and afterwards letting windows detect the modem and install it again, didnīt solve the problem.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance for your effort.

Edited by myqs, 04 December 2007 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello myqs,

It doesn't appear that you are finished with your previous thread yet, as Sari hasn't yet declared your log clean. We try to make sure that your log is completely clean before tackling any other issues. Please hold tight for your other thread to be finished, after which point you can continue in this thread if necessary.

Regards,

Ax

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Ax238,

Myqs is indeed clean. I was concerned that there was a dialer present that might have caused her modem to think it was needed, but I can find no evidence of one in any of the scans we've done. We tried disabling the modem in Device Manager, but something still seems to think it's needed. It is the internal modem that is provided with her laptop, but as she stated, it's not used because she has the broadband wireless card. My thought is that a setting was changed somewhere that I can't find, which is why I've turned her over to your capable hands now. :)

sari

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) sari, thanks for letting me know. I just didn't want to proceed until I knew for sure that you were done.

OK myqs, let's try something here: Uninstall your "Vodafone Mobile Connect Modem" software and then restart your computer. Please let me know if the modem prompt still appears. If it does not, reinstall the software, restart your computer, and give me an updated status.

Regards,

Ax

myqs

myqs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Goodevening Ax,

Thank you for your post!
Would like to inform you that Iīm gonna have to wait till probably sunday, when I have some more time. I have the cd with the software for my Vodafone modem packed away somewhere :-S in a box. And donīt want to uninstall the software without having that cd next to me :-) Itīs my only access to internet here.
Will send you an update after uninstalling and reinstalling.
Thank you for your help!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello myqs,

That sounds good, let me know how it goes for you. No problem at all, I wish you the best.

Ax

myqs

myqs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Good evening Ax,

Finally today I had the time to uninstall and reinstall the vodafone software.
However... I wanted to uninstall through "add and remove software".
This apparantly is impossible.
I have closed all windows, disconnected with the internet, and clicked "remove" on the Vodafone mobile connect software, and this message popped up:

An error has occurred while running setup

5001 0xffffec6B

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup

From there on, I couldnīt choose any option to continue removing.
Since then, I have had some problems trying to reconnect with the internet. I had notifications such as "impossible to connect" and "failure" and "please insert simcard" (<- which is always inside).
After trying several times I managed to get connected, and so here I am now.

I donīt know if thereīs another way to safely delete the software, and get it back again (itīs plug and play). As I mentioned before itīs the only way I can have access to the internet from here.

Do you have any advise on what to do now?
Thanks already for your help!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You can try doing a repair install of the software. There should be an option to reinstall the software once you put the disk into the drive. Please try this as it may end up resolving your initial issue as well. If you are able to reinstall it (without uninstalling) and you still have the issue, proceed to uninstall and reinstall the software.

Let me know how it goes,

Ax

myqs

myqs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Ax,

Well Iīve done a little bit of work:

First of all I made a mistake in my post, saying that I wanted to find the installation cd before uninstalling. Apparantly, this vodafone modem never came with a cd (I remembered wrong), but is a plug&play (I mentioned it in my last post, but I think I wasnīt clear about it not having a cd).
After a lot of searching, I was finally able to reinstall the software.
I restarted the computer, and still the same popup of the sensmodem.

So I went to add/remove software, and removed all the software again of the Vodafone Modem.
Restarted the computer, still same popup.

Then I installed the software of vodafone again after pluggin in the usbmodem.

So I followed all your steps, but the Sens-message still comes up.

Maybe I havenīt written clear to you how/when this came up. It wasnīt since I use the other modem (vodafone).
THe popups suddenly started while following the instructions on my other GTG post. We (sari and me) had a lot of scans and other programs run, and deleted things, which has solved many problems that I had. more details can be read in the post. Somewhere in that proces we apparantly did something (although we canīt figure out what) that caused this SENS thing to popup.

Thank you for your time and effort to help me. I will wait for your next ideas :-)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Well thanks for sticking through all this. I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I think I have it figured out though. You mentioned a purple "a" on the modem box in your other post. This sounds to me like the new logo for Alcatel-Lucent. When I was viewing your last HJT log, one entry caught me off guard:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LtMoh] C:\Archivos de programa\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe

This is the Lucent Technologies Modem On Hold utility. :) You probably see where this is going now. Let's try disabling this entry.

Go to Start | Run, type msconfig, and press Enter. In the System Configuration Utility window that appears, click the Startup tab. Clear the checkbox for the LtMoh entry, click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer and you should get a message telling you that msconfig has been customized. Just check the option to not show the message again and click OK.

Regards,

Ax

Advertisements

myqs

myqs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Goodevening Ax,

You are the best, it worked!
I did what u told me to do, and just to be sure restarted the computer once again, and NO popups anymore! I had, by the way a long list in the startup section of msconfig, is this normal?

Thank you for helping! Funny that such a little detail as "The Purple A" can be the key to the solution!
Do you have any idea how this Lucent-thing ended up on my startup in the first place?

Thank you for everything!

Myqs

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey there Myqs,

:) No problem, glad it worked for you! Is a long startup list normal? Yes. Is it necessary? No. You can optionally disable the following startup entries, if you so desire, and you should see a system startup speed improvement:
SunJavaUpdateSched
Adobe Photo Downloader
PCSuiteTrayApplication
QuickTime Task
MsnMsgr
PcSync <-- Nokia phone connected icon
ISUSPM

You can always use the Sysinfo.org Startup Applications List to check specific entries.

Well the purple 'a' is what sealed the deal. I saw the ltmoh first and was suspicious. I found out it had to do with Lucent, so I looked it up and found a purple logo with an 'a' and it all clicked. It appears that the ltmoh was in the startup entries from the beginning. My guess is that something got moved/removed during the fixing process that also affected the modem on hold application, which is why you started getting the message. Since you don't use dial-up, you really don't need to worry about it being started when your system starts.

Regards,

Ax

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Ax238,

Thanks for helping! I had looked at startup items, but had missed that one - since it was saying the Sens modem, I was looking for something like that and had only found the keyboard in start up. That was a useful learning experience for me as well. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey sari,

No problem, my pleasure! I'm glad you were able to benefit also. Likewise, it was a great learning experience for me too, those little details are often the secret keys to opening the door to a solution.

myqs

myqs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
✓  Best Answer
Goodevening Ax (and Sari :-))

Thank you for solving my little problem, and answering all my questions. I am very happy that I found out about this website, and I am going to advise it to my friends.
It pleasantly surprised me there are apparantly still so many people who are willing to voluntarily help out other people by sharing their knowledge.

Thank you and wishing you a wonderful Christmas!
Myqs