Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Windows Media Player and Vista

• Please log in to reply

moleylane

moleylane

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently got a new computer with Vista and apparently Window Media Payer 11, it worked for a while but then stopped (possibly when installing McAfee).

I can not reinstall as it says that there is a more recent version (11.0.6000.6344) already installed on your computer. It is not possible to use an older installation package (11.0.6000.6324) to install files or to repair your current version of the player.

If I try to uninstall the current version it is not in the add/remove programmes or installed updates.

Can you please help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Uninstall any other media software - such as SatelliteTV for PC.

Alternatively, somebody on a web forum somewhere received this from Microsoft

In this case I can only suggest running an in-place installation of Windows Vista on your computer. To do so please start Windows Vista from your hard drive and insert the Windows Vista DVD after booting. Now please run the Windows Vista setup again from within Windows Vista. This will repair all applications including Media Player and Media Center by replacing the damaged files.
It might be possible that you need to install a device driver again if you have installed the drivers for your hardware manually but normally all installed application will not be harmed by this additional installation.

moleylane

moleylane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi

Sorry I am not very technical and do not understand what I need to do here can you explain in a bit more detail.

Thanks