Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NIC

• Please log in to reply

SpiderSearch

SpiderSearch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello folks,

I need your feedback how to resolve this issue. I noticed there is yellow excliamtion in device manager under "OTHER DEVICE" so I presumed this needs to restore for driver that I used DELL CDs for Fast Ethernet NIC. to download NIC driver then the computer restarted. Interesting is that Fast Ethernet is not appearing in Network Adapter listing. How do I resolve it? By using DELL operating system to restore? So I decided to check into command typed pinning 131.128.1.127, it state Destination host unreachable. What is this mean? The reason I asked because it does not working with xbox that DHCP ip address is not enablr or ip address is not connection right. Does this has to do with cable modem and router that all are not connecting correct that is causing Fast Ethernet NIC disappears? I am not sure but your help will be appreciated. I think pining 131.128.1.127 is for ethernet cable has problem or needs static ip address? But my question is that when I download for Fast Ethernet NIC (YELLOW EXCLIMATION) then why it disappears in Netwok Adapters Lisiting? :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, all your connection problems are because the network card (NIC) is not working, as indicated by the yellow exclamation mark. This could be because you did not install the driver properly, installed the wrong driver, or the network card itself has failed and needs replacing with a new one.

First try the Dell website to see if you can get a driver there, and install it. I can't help you with that because I don't know the model number of your PC.

If it still won't work, you can fit a new one (any make will fit into an empty PCI slot). My guess is the card is broken, because most network cards will work on Windows XP without needing to install a driver (XP uses it's own generic driver).
Because of this, when you buy a new network card there will be no driver supplied with it -- it's not needed.

Of course, if your Dell is a laptop you won't be able to fit a new network card internally, but you can get external ones that plug into a USB port or a PCMCIA (cardbus) slot. These external types do need a driver installing, so make sure one is supplied with it.

Edited by pip22, 05 December 2007 - 08:24 AM.