Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card problems

• Please log in to reply

ace159357

ace159357

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i just bought a new video card and a new power supply thats more than enough to power my computer......now the problem is that my old ONBOARD video card had failed and i cant get picture on my moniter to install the new video card......can someone please help me step by step...i have a gateway.........CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Edited by ace159357, 04 December 2007 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You have to disable the on-board video (even when it doesn't work) to prevent the PC from trying to use it.

First of all, physically fit your new card into it's slot and close the case. Plug the monitor's VGA cable into the new card.

Turn on the PC and immediately hold down the 'Delete' key until the BIOS configuration screen appears (blue screen, white or yellow text). Look for 'on-board video' and set it to 'Disabled'. Save changes and allow the PC to reboot normally. Windows should start, using it's own 'generic' VGA driver with basic, low resolution and low colour-depth (this is normal at this stage).

Now install the drivers for the new card and reboot. You should now be able to set up the resolution and colour-depth to whatever settings you usually prefer, though if it's an LCD monitor the resolution setting should be the 'native' resolution of the monitor (refer to monitor handbook).

Edited by pip22, 05 December 2007 - 08:03 AM.