Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot choice software?

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Does anyone have recommendations for a boot menu software. I'm using two racks with one drive having vista and the other having XP. When I change drives my computer picks up the two external drives and tries to boot to them. I have to go into the bios and change the order. I would like to boot to a menu so I could pick the drive without going into the setup. Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry but I don't understand your post. What do you mean by two racks? Does your computer have hot swappable drives, like some servers? Other folks here may know exactly what your talking about but I would appreciate it if you could describe this a bit more.

Thanks

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Sorry, Yes have Two T-7 storm series Sata removable racks. The racks hold my drives so I can power them up and boot to them. I have two drives one in the top rack and one in the bottom rack. I only have one powered up at a time. I tried while in vista to turn on the power to the xp drive but vista didn't like the presence of a working XP system and froze. " you can turn on the power to the rack by locking it with the key." By locking this keeps you from pulling it out by accident while it's running or from someone taking it. It is handy because I can shut down the PC and pull the xp drive out and insert the Vista drive and boot to vista..That is why I was wondering if there is software that will let me make that choice while booting.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think VistaBootPRO will do what you're wanting to do. Vista uses a different boot manager than XP does and is probably why your machine is throwing a fit when you try to boot one system with the other in the rack.

This application should provide you with the menu you're looking for.