Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sharing printers

• Please log in to reply

duffo

duffo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 231,113
Operating System:
xp

Hello Group, I'm an old confused 'puter nut who lives in Ohio. Know just enough computer stuff to be dangerous! My wife forbids me to even look in the direction of her machine. She went so far as to have a special T-shirt made for me that says "HUMAN COMPUTER VIRUS". I've searched a lot of forums, but have never seen my problem discussed. I have a couple of computer that I experiment on. There are five computers here. 4 are connected to a router, hub or whatever they are called, via Cat 5 cable and the lap top is wireless. I've run "setting up a home network" and they are all in the network.(I think) The problem I am having is sharing the printers. To make a long story longer, I've tried to connect the printers (4 0f them) to the network so many times, the PRINTERS LIST has so many variations of the names I've tried, I dont't know which is which. My question is....how do I remove all these printers from the list?
Also I don't understand the page that tells you to enter the printer name you are trying to share. The example they show is "\\SERVER\NAME". I guess I don't understand "server"....basically. My understanding of "server" is something everything is plugged into. I my case everything is plugged into a LYNKSYS router (or HUB). Each of the 4 wired computers have their own printers plugged into them. I thought the names I gave the printers was too long so I "changed the name " thing, but the changed name doesn't appear on the lengthly list I want to delete, remove or whatever. Then I read on Microsoft web site that XP allows long names(up to 31 characters. Sorry this is so long. Help!

:)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

Also I don't understand the page that tells you to enter the printer name you are trying to share. The example they show is "\\SERVER\NAME". I guess I don't understand "server"...

in this instance \\server\ refers to the "host computer" which is the computer the printer is directly attached to and \name is the SHARED name of the printer (the name you entered on the saring tab of the printer setup)

Ghost66

Ghost66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You should go computer by computer and from the Control Panel / Add/Remove Software I would remove every single printer. Also Deleting them from the Printers Folder (Printer & Faxes in XP) Then I would start from scracth.
And if I were you, I would sell all of the 4 printers and buy a Network Printer that has a build in Ethernet Port that way you can connect it to the router and every computer print from it.