Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restoring from NewSID?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DakiniShaman

DakiniShaman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey everyone.
I'm having a problem here with my other computer. I recently downloaded and began to install NewSID. It started going through a bunch of files on my computer. I had no idea what it did, I was told I needed it to access another program. But anyway, it told me not to close it out because if I were to do so it would make my system unstable.

Well, mid-installation, I noticed that my icons were all disappearing and I couldn't access anything in start, all programs. I restarted the computer immediately and upon logging into my name discovered most of my icons were missing, my background was changed, and I couldn't access My Documents (said "Access Denied").

I did a system restore to the previous day and when I logged in, I had my icons back. However, the wallpaper I had installed was missing and I still couldn't access My Documents. I got onto another account, however, and could access My Documents. I decided to set the computer back even further, which did nothing different. I did, though, find out that along with My Documents, I can't access any pictures, either. They're all considered to be in an unkown format. I'm opening them with IrfanView and didn't have time to open them with anything else, so I haven't tested that.

This still poses the problem of not being able to access My Documents and pictures through IrfanView. Is there a way to completely reverse the effects NewSID brought upon my computer, or is there possibly some way to at the least fix My Documents and my images?

Thanks.
- DakiniShaman

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
....why where you running NewSID in the first place? what program "required" you to use it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the lowdown on NewSID is here...
this is key to it
Important: Note that while we have thoroughly tested NewSID, you must use it at your own risk. As with any software that changes file and Registry settings, it is highly recommended that you completely back-up your computer before running NewSID.
you should have made a complete registry backup BEFORE you started...
I'm with dsenette .... why you were running it in the first place

DakiniShaman

DakiniShaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not gonna bother with explaining why I was using it, it really isn't important although it is a long story. It didn't really delete anything, I don't think, but it just locked my whole account up. I can access other accounts and everything works, it's just mine that doesn't work (which means I can't access My Documents or images). Anyone know how to unlock this?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
knowing why you wanted to do this is going to go a long way to whether you get help or not

I KNOW what newSID does...and the dangers of using it (especially the part where you rebooted in the middle of the process)....

so...answer the question....why were you using it in the first place

iamZIIIM

iamZIIIM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm getting the same error. i used it to crack a program and now i cant get into my documents, but on other accounts i can without any problem. tried a system restore twice, but no luck. oh and i cant view imigies either.

Edited by iamZIIIM, 12 September 2010 - 01:06 PM.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
iamZIIIM,
You are going to receive zero help here as you are using it to circumvent copy protection. DakiniShaman, I don't see why it is hard to answer the question. Also, this problem may violate the TOU on this site.
Have you tried resetting the permissions on your My Documents folder? This is commonly associated with changing the SID. Also, which OS are you using?

Thanks,
Taomech

iamZIIIM

iamZIIIM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Reset the permission on my documents and i can get into it, but i cant do anything with the permissions on the files inside it. i'm using xp home. its probably for similar reasons as mine, copyright issues.

And the pics are doing the same as DakiniShaman

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
thanks for necroposting into a thread that we're not going to help with in the first place.

we will not help you with any copyright violation related issues. you want to steal/crack software you're going to have to deal with the consequences