Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DUST!

• Please log in to reply

darko2021

darko2021

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
So recently my CPU has been running kinda hot (about 59C resting). Knowing that it had been some time since I last dusted I went out and paid about 7$ for air and some cotton swabs that I find work well to clean fan blades. There was quite a bit of build up on the fans but they appear to be working properly now that I have cleaned them(Actually they never seemed to be slow to me). The problem is that my CPU still rests at about 50C and can get up to between 55-60C. Do you guys think I need to buy a new heat sink and fan even though the one I have seems to be working? What products would you say could give me the best bang for my buck if I do need to get a new one? I have an AMD64 4000+. Thanks in advance,
Jon

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi darko2121, you could possibly try reseating the heatsink/fan with new thermal grease. If it's a bit older, try using some Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease to reseat it. If this doesn't work, then you could look at a new heatsink/fan.

Also another option is to look at the case cooling. It could be that (even though the fans are clean) proper airflow through the case is not being achieved.