Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected shut downs...

• Please log in to reply

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I heard you had some issues with lightning. Did the computer issues begin before or after the lightning struck? You might have some issues with your RAM or graphics card. Let's test out the RAM first.

Download Memtest86 and burn to disk (use the Download - Memtest86 v3.4 ISO image (zip) link). Restart your system with the disk in the drive and let it run for a few hours. Write down the number of errors encountered. If you have more than one memory module, try testing each one separately as well and let me know your results.

Regards,

Ax

Advertisements

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
k, I'll let it do it while I'm sleeping fo rthis is the only pc i have and i can't do anything much so i'm online, lol....

Also it hasn't ever done this after the lignting hit it until like a weeek ago. lol..

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 11 December 2007 - 10:21 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sounds good, I'll try to check in with you tomorrow then.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
it only runs for like 2 minutes AND STOPS

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Are you talking about Memtest86 or your computer? Please give as much detail as you can when you respond with a status update, as it will speed up the process of figuring out what is wrong with your system.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
the memtest86, lol.. Sorry.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
That's OK, does it give you any errors at all? I think I may have given you the link to the old version of memtest86, sorry about that.

You can try this version or download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create the disk as outlined on the download page. Boot the machine to this disk and let it run the test for about an hour. Any Failures will indicate a bad RAM module and the likely problem.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Here's what the memtest86 thing said...

Posted Image

Edited by mcdanielnc89, 12 December 2007 - 04:41 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Looks like a failing memory module to me. Do you have more than one RAM stick in your system? You can go to Crucial and let it scan your computer to let you know how many modules you have and what type you need to order.

Regards,

Ax

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
ermr. it doesn't have my model listed there, lol... eMachines T3096

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Google is your friend too:
eMachines T3096 ram - Google Product Search

I would suggest replacing with the same amount of memory or more than what you currently have.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hey man,

Thanks for everything.. I am going to talk to my parenst to get me some new ram.. I can get a 1 gb stick and a 512 stick for 100.00... Now if i can jsut figurre out if anything else is wrong with my pc. lol... Like the motherbooard, cpu, and harddrive

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) No problem at all. I'd suggest just purchasing one stick at this point, to make sure that the memory is the problem. It's completely up to you though.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
okay, I jsut purchaced a gig of ram. Lol.. Costed me $40.50. Not bad if ya ask me, lol... Tonight, I'm going to try running the memory test again and see if the results come out to be the same. I will post them here...

Thanks again for everything. Yu have made me want to redo my computer and everything!(That's good!) ROFL...

P.S.

Is I heard that if the HDD is bad then it would make a noise or something. Is this true?
And if the CPU is bad, more than likely the tower won't boot.
If the power supply is bad then it won't boot up.

SHall I check anything else? Let me know if I'm correct on the ones i've stated above...

Thanks and God Bless,
-Nathaniel

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Nathaniel,

Sounds like you did get a pretty good deal. I've had problems finding compatible RAM for eMachines in the past, but maybe you've got better luck than I.

I heard that if the HDD is bad then it would make a noise or something. Is this true? Yes, it can make clicking/grinding noises when it's going bad. That's about the time you want to save what you can off your system and go shopping for a new hard drive.
And if the CPU is bad, more than likely the tower won't boot. Yes, most of the time, CPUs either work or they don't.
If the power supply is bad then it won't boot up. If the power supply is dead, it won't boot up at all. If it is failing, you may not get power to all devices on your system or it may be intermittent.

We are looking into the RAM because it is the cheapest to replace and is usually a major cause of stop errors. We'll start here and if we need to continue on to other items, we can address them later.

Regards,

Ax