Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shut Downs.

• Please log in to reply

lordmaji

lordmaji

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
alright, my problem :tazz:

My comp shuts down for no reason what so ever... It takes the [bleep] things like 4 to 5 trys before it'll power up completley and begin loading up windows.

I swaped PSU's, w/ a different one out of another pos I have, i think the PSU's are almost the same thing, different models/makes. But same wattage. One say 300 the one i put in says 320. its still giving me grief.

My comp is an Athlon 1900

someone told me i should have atleast a 350 or 400 PSU for a 1900.. But I'm not sure. Never really messed around with PSU's until now.

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks
LM

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

My first question is did the computer ever run right with the 300w psu in it, if it did and you did not add any new hardware then I guess it is ok but a 300w does seem a little low.

What motherboard do you have? or what brand name computer, model name and model number?

If your bios has this info list it for us, cpu temp, 3.3v,5v,12v,

Rick

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry I havnt replyed right away. been busy...

A Self built machine (i didnt build it, got it from a friend)
The MB is a Epox ep-8k3a
Athlon XP 1900

The System Temp is running at 29c and the CPU is running at 66c. the cpu seems a little high i think. but i could be completely wrong.. i will also get u the cpu voltage and all that if u need it..

let me know, thanx for the help.

Adios
Eric

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The cpu temp is high and could cause the problems you describe but before we attempt to fix this could you answer me a few more questions.

You mentioned the computer takes 4 to 5 tries to bootup fully, does it do this after it has been off for 4 to 5 hours?

Or does it take the 4 or 5 tries right after it shuts down?

Rick

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
its random...

Sometimes it'll boot right up.. some times it'll try and boot and shut off.. it all depends w/ this machine. It does seem to do it more once its been off for a little while. but i could be complete wrong about that. Ive kept it on for 2 days now. i tried using it tonight and it did its bs again.

wondering why the cpu is so hot.

hrmm check voltage and such?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am not positive the cpu is that hot the censors use to read the temps sometimes are not accurate and by what you just answerd I think this maybe the case but we need to be sure.

Caution make sure you ground your self from static electicity before touching anything inside the case.

Try this test after the pc has been on for at least 15 minutes.

The simplest thing is to measure the Heatsink temp as close to the base as possible. If you don't have a thermometer use this scale:
70C = Burnt Fingers
60C = Painfull
50C = Hot
40C = Pleasantly Warm

Let me know and we will move on from there.

Rick

Edited by Doby, 21 April 2005 - 09:52 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

The simplest thing is to measure the Heatsink temp as close to the base as possible. If you don't have a thermometer use this scale:
70C = Burnt Fingures
60C = Painfull
50C = Hot
40C = Pleasantly Warm

I've never seen that. I like it a lot. Very common sense, and seems pretty accurate.

Might also suggest checking your memory. I like http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I'm glad you like that Admin and I have tested it using a temp probe although I never got one hot enough to burn fingers I knew what the next step past painfull was.

I needed a tool when working remotely to get a handle on temps

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I havnt had the chance to check it yet, but i just booted it up after having it shut off for almost a day, I do not think its a heating problem, it may be. But i think something else is also causing it to reboot itselfs randomly...

any ideas on this one?

I'll look into the heat and all that in a moment.

let me know

Adios
Eric

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
let us know how you make out with memtest

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What brand power supply do you have? Can you provide us with the voltage/amps values displayed on the sticker/label on the outside of the power supply.

Power supply manufacturers typically over state the performance of their product. Rule of thumb is to deduct 20% to get a true picture of the actual values. I had a random reboot problem on my AMD64 system. Turned out the Raidmax 420W power supply was the cause (it came with my case). Deducting 20% this was actually 290W and I needed solid 370W for the components in my system. The important thing to look for on that psu label is the amps on the +12V rail. It should be 18 amps or better.

Good info on power suppies here

http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I went and bought a new PSU 550watt and its seeming to still have issues.

So apon looking. I was visiting my mb's manufacturers website and was looking at specs regarding the mb.

They're 3 differents types of my mb. Mines is a EP-8K3A w/ a 266 FSB. The second was a EP-8K3A+ which is the same and then theres a EP-8K3AE w/ a 333 FSB.

Looking at my memory stick i have in there. Its a PC2700 333. which according to the site its what it takes.. but isnt the 333 regarding a 333 FSB?

heres the mb's website. http://www.epox.com....tent.php?ps=101

While I was looking on Newegg, I couldnt find an Athlon XP 2700 for a 266 FSB. This computer was built from parts bought from Newegg... so its interesting not finding an XP chip for a 266 FSB mb. curious if this means something?

Also... What would be the correct Frequency settings for a 266 FSB? Memory PC2700 DDR333 (256).

I've had it running for about 3 hours now, w/ no trouble... yet... I had some issues when i first installed the PSU. Windows getting ready to boot and not. but its booted now, and no trouble. im waiting for it power off. but just MAYBE its fixed. This comp is a bit to slow.

If you want, in my next post I will give all my settings, I prolly should of in this post. but i was just wondering what someone thought and possible ideas? The link to the site should help a bit.

I cannot think of anything else to put.. i hope this helps..

Thanks for the help... let me know plz

E
:tazz:

Edited by lordmaji, 16 July 2005 - 07:12 PM.

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I rebooted "updating windows"

So heres what the comp says.

CPU Temp: 67c / 150f
System Temp: 33c / 91f

Vcore 1.72 V
Vdimm 2.56 V
Vagp 1.53 V

Vbat 2.99 V
12v 12.28 V
5VSB 5.40 V

hope this helps some.

Adios

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Check your CPU fan make sure its working while the computer is on

Also check and see if its clean (dust free)

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
CPU Fan is running... and is "clean" i blew all the dust and what not off.

Btw, I think it rebooted 1 time throughout the night.. sometime between 5am and now (9:57am)

Heres what the bios says about Frequecy/Voltage

Auto Detect DIMM/PCI CLK [Enabled]
Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Clock [133]
AGP/PCI Frequency will be 66/33 MHz
CPU Ratio [Auto]
Watching-Dog Timer [Disabled]

Vcore Default Voltage 1.750 V
Current Voltage [Default]
Adjust Voltage + 0.000 V

DIMM Default Voltage 2.50 V
Add Voltage [+0.00 V]
New Volage 2.50 V

sound about right?

E

Edited by lordmaji, 17 July 2005 - 08:06 AM.