Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shut Downs.

• Please log in to reply

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Look around your bios and see if it has a hardware monitor there.If its showing a temp of 60+ id say you have a heat problem

Advertisements

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Current Sys Temp: 33c / 91f
Current CPU Temp: between 60 and 66c

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats definately a heat problem remove your hsf clean and reapply thermal material to see of it helps, if not a new hsf is in order.

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I added new thermal compound...

It looks like its keeping it a bit cooler...

its running around 130 138f

sys temp it around 80 and 86f or something.

still a bit warm?

ok im editing this now :tazz:

let it sit on in windows for a min

its still running around 150f...

bad cpu? how can heatsink be bad?

Edited by lordmaji, 18 July 2005 - 12:14 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Whats that in metric.

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just rebooted after almost 24 hours of it not rebooting itself. i think it did once today...

anyways...

CPU Temp: 66c/150f it differs though.. mainly higher by 2 or 3.

System Temp: 35c / 95f

Fan is running, I did put the thermal compound on it... cooled it off for a second. now its back to what it is.

Also, i was looking at my mb's website and it says it can use an AMD Athlon XP 2700... I could be wrong, but they dont make XP 2700 for a 266FSB do they? because thats apparently what this comp is. a 266FSB. whats in it now is an AMD Athlon XP 1900. so... *shrug*

heatsink bad? how can a heatsink be bad? maybe cpu is wack?

E

Edited by lordmaji, 18 July 2005 - 08:25 PM.

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
any ideas?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I will have a good long look at your post to go over it there are a lot of things you tried and we will have to review them all. I will be going away and won't return till Sunday or Monday pm so I will reply then.

One thing I would like you to try though is the finger test, when the computer is at idle in windows place your finger at the base of the heatsink
40c = comfortably warm
50c= need to pull away after 3 to 5 seconds
60c= need to pull away after 1 second
70c burnt fingers

This is fairly accurate and is important to get a true reading of your cpu temp, sometimes the mobo sensores that read the temp are inaccurate and when they are they usually read high thats why your temp stayed the same even though you change thermal paste but I want to be sure before we troubleshoot other things

Rick

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it didnt seem to hot, i could keep my finger of it for awhile.. hrmm.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You were wondering what can go wrong with a HSF? Please understand that some HSF's are much better than others and consequently, do a better job of cooling your processor. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with your current HSF, its just that at 66C, your processor is running way too hot. A better HSF and good thermal paste applied properly should put you down into the mid 40's. The problem you are having with random reboots can be heat related and because of your reported temps, it appears that a $30 investment may be all that is required to eliminate your problem. In my book, a ThermalTake Silent Boost socket A HSF is a tremendous value that runs very quietly and does a great job of cooling.

For what its worth, I ran a modded OC'ed 1900 Palamino AGOGA core at 1.825V on an ABIT KT7a for a couple of years and it never even came close to 50C under a heavy load.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 24 July 2005 - 02:15 AM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

it didnt seem to hot, i could keep my finger of it for awhile.. hrmm

If thats the case then I don't think the problem is heat related so the next thing to do is to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing the reboot, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

what I would like you to do next is go into bios and set the ram clock at 133mhz your pc2700 ram is most likely set at spd and running at 166mhz (166 x 2 = 333mhz). When you have a 266 mobo witch is actually 133 mhz X 2= 266 mhz and a 266 mhz cpu you should try and run the ram at the same speed when stability problems occur.

Try both of these and report back if you get a error or maybe the change in ram clock setting will help.

You must do both of these so we can eliminate them as possibilites before we try other things. If you need help with the ram setting I can direct you as I am downloading your manual now but for some reason its taking awhile and I have cable, must be the Epox site.

Rick

Siten0308

Siten0308

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey guys,

I need a little help, right now i built a computer, 2 problems actually, one problem is the bios, it starts up but before it does start up, it takes long ot enter the bios, it sounds like its trying to read something from the dvd, but after a minute then it finally boots to the bios. OK NOW ON TO THE MAIN QUESTION, sorry for the earlier questions, thats for software but, hey since i am here. The main issue is i know my computer over heats, however i bought 2 80mm fans and also another fan mounted on the side of the computer, however it still over heats like crazy and turns itself off. i do not know if i have the fans facing the proper way, or is there a way i can speed them up, because when i put my hand on them, they are barely blowing any air, which sucks, what do you recommend, i am open to even purchasing better fans if you recomend. thanks people.

Steve

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

what I would like you to do next is go into bios and set the ram clock at 133mhz your pc2700 ram is most likely set at spd and running at 166mhz (166 x 2 = 333mhz). When you have a 266 mobo witch is actually 133 mhz X 2= 266 mhz and a 266 mhz cpu you should try and run the ram at the same speed  when stability problems occur.

Try both of these and report back if you get a error or maybe the change in ram clock setting will help.

You must do both of these so we can eliminate them as possibilites before we try other things. If you need help with the ram setting I can direct you as I am downloading your manual now but for some reason its taking awhile and I have cable, must be the Epox site.

View Post

If you could possibly post the settings and what not in the bios it would be much appreciated. Never really messed around w/ clocking and what not.

Also, It was rebooting before it got to windows. But I can also check it out in windows. Its not rebooting as often as it was before ever since i put the new PSU in. But its still rebooting once and awhile now. Its been running none stop for 3days now. So.

Thanks for your help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make your own thread for problems dont hijack other peoples.

Should be in advance features and under dram config or something along those lines dont know what bios it is you have.

lordmaji

lordmaji

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i know where it is.

I just curious on what the settings would be.

I'll post the bios later on. Im currently away from that comp at the moment. much appreciated for everyones help also.