Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewire PCI Card Installation

• Please log in to reply

spoonersucks

spoonersucks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently purchased a Sybus IEEE 1394A Card and am having issues with Windows XP recognizing it as a network adapter as opposed to the Firewire card that it actually is. In order to install the card I had to remove the old Intel 56k modem that was occupying the PCI slot. Before removing the modem, I uninstalled it using the Windows Device Manager.

So my issue is getting Windows to properly recognize the Firewire card. Can anyone walk me through the process? Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Firewire cards get flagged up as being a Network adaptor (because of the 1394 network connection) and also appear in Device Manager as a IEE1394 Device Controller. This is normal behaviour.

spoonersucks

spoonersucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Firewire cards get flagged up as being a Network adaptor (because of the 1394 network connection) and also appear in Device Manager as a IEE1394 Device Controller. This is normal behaviour.

Thanks for the reply, Neil. Problem is that it is being recognized as the old Intel modem and downloading and installing those drivers as opposed to simply an IEE1394 Device. Also, no IEE1394 device appears anywhere in the Device Manager. The card didn't come with any software or drivers, and the company's website offers none. I'm stumped...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
No drivers are offered because no drivers are needed under XP for a Firewire card.
You may need to turn off the AC97 modem in your system BIOS.

spoonersucks

spoonersucks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

No drivers are offered because no drivers are needed under XP for a Firewire card.
You may need to turn off the AC97 modem in your system BIOS.

Really appreciate your help, Neil. How would I go about doing this?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Reset the computer, bash either F1, F2, F10, DEL or whatever to enter BIOS before Windows starts to load.
Somewhere in here may be an option to disable AC97 Modem - usually lives under Integrated Peripherals.