Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Repair Installation Issues

• Please log in to reply

Scybermonk

Scybermonk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to run a repair installation for an OEM copy of XP home. I have done this prodecure numerous times before, so I know I followed the appropriate steps. However, and this has happened before, forcing a fresh install, when I go to the Parition Select screen, it does not regocnize the previous installation. I can log into it with recovery console, I even tried adding more windows installations to the boot menu, chkdsking, fixbooting, afixmbring, and that usually fixed it. Unfortunately, this time, it doesn't seem to. The windows computer is looping on startup, meaning I get all the way to the OS Choices menu, and a few seconds beyond it, before it restarts.

I want to know if there is any way to fix this thing without having to do a full wipe and re-install.

Help?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run CHKDSK on it from the Recovery Console on the CD, then attempt a repair again.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 December 2007 - 03:48 AM.

dAvik

dAvik

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Did you not read his post at all? He already said he had done chkdsk. I am having the exact same problem and would like some more help, if possible. I do have my own thread, however.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is the original XP install bootable, normally or in Safe Mode?

I know you said you tried adding more Windows installations to the boot menu but I don't know what htat means. From the Recovery Console, did you try running bootcfg /rebuild to rebuild boot.ini?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Did you not read his post at all? He already said he had done chkdsk. I am having the exact same problem and would like some more help, if possible. I do have my own thread, however.

CHKDSK/Scandisk from Windows and CHKDSK from the Recovery Console are not the same thing.
The former tells you nothing about what's going on and claims it's done something (but doesn't tell you anything), while the latter tells you if its fixed anything and also gives a clue about where to go from here.

Roc2008

Roc2008

• Pip
  • 4 posts
during repair I am asked for password and I have no idea what it is anyhelp????

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just press the Enter key without entering a password, see if that works.

Roc2008

Roc2008

• Pip
  • 4 posts
that doesnt work