Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Connecting to Wirless Network

• Please log in to reply

shuuks

shuuks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have a netgear wireless router which I have connected two computers to (both with non netgear adapters) without any trouble. I have a netgear adapter on a third computer but I am unable to connect that computer to the same wireless network. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the driver, I have tried disabling and reenabling the wirless adapter and I have restarted my machine many times. I have tried both the windows configuration utility as well as the netgear configuration utility and I still can't connect. When I use the windows utility, the wireless network is found and after I enter the WEP encyrption it waits for the network and then nothing happens, it doesn't connect. When I use the Netgear Utility, the network is also listed in the Site Survey tab but when it tries to connect, in the Connecting To box it says Joining...and it never joins. Any ideas on on what else I can try? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Temporarily disable the wireless security on the router to see if the third computer will connect -- not a solution of course, just a test to see if security is getting in the way somehow.

You might also try experimenting with different channel numbers on the router -- these channels don't affect whether or not a networked PC can 'see' the router, but they do often affect whether or not a networked PC can actually connect to that router. In most cases higher is better, but you also have to watch you don't 'clash' with a nearby router on the same channel.

I realise you've got two other PCs working fine on wireless, but this wireless business can be hard to figure sometimes when the solution doesn't seem to make much sense.

Edited by pip22, 05 December 2007 - 08:57 AM.

shuuks

shuuks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice. I will try that and let you know what happens. Also I forgot to mention that this adapter was working but then verizon had problems with the dsl line and we had to reset the router and since then I haven't been able to get the adapter working again. I don't think that makes a difference but I just wanted to let you know. Thanks again.

shuuks

shuuks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I just wanted to let you know that I was able to connect. I changed the router setting from b and g to b only and that seemed to do the trick.