Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is _PTAJYDRA?

• Please log in to reply

t3cii

t3cii

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to this forum, and so I'm unsure if this post will be in the right place.

About a week ago I started having problems with my computer. I noticed that when I wanted to log off, a message box saying something along the lines of "_PTAHYDRA is now closing. Ending now may lose any saved data". The box would then close and take me to to log in screen. This message does not show up all the time, however, and a day ago it made me think I had actually got rid of it. Until it came back. It is not listed on my computer with my other programs.

I have also noticed that my computer seems to be running a little slower than usual. Also, if I am online, and click on a link on a page, it sometimes redirects me to a different one. For example, I asked about _PTAHYDRA on yahoo answers, and someone suggested this site. When I clicked on the forum link on the home page of this site, it redirected me to eBay.

I have used ad-aware, and although I did find a number of cookies and spyware, I was able to delete, the message still shows up. A friend suggested trying AVG, but I had actually downloaded a free copy, and ran into problems running it, and had to un-install that program, so I am a little leary of doing that. Another freind suggested Housecall, and when I tried that, it seemed to take a long time, and once it had found things on my computer, and I tried to clean it, there was no indictation that it had actually done so, in the two times I tried it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what _PTAHYDRA is, why it is on my computer, and what I can do about it? I am a novice at computers, so if anyone can give me advice or suggestions that are easy to follow, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Advertisements

t3cii

t3cii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to this forum, and so I'm unsure if this post will be in the right place.

About a week ago I started having problems with my computer. I noticed that when I wanted to log off, a message box saying something along the lines of "_PTAHYDRA is now closing. Ending now may lose any saved data". The box would then close and take me to to log in screen. This message does not show up all the time, however, and a day ago it made me think I had actually got rid of it. Until it came back. It is not listed on my computer with my other programs.

I have also noticed that my computer seems to be running a little slower than usual. Also, if I am online, and click on a link on a page, it sometimes redirects me to a different one. For example, I asked about _PTAHYDRA on yahoo answers, and someone suggested this site. When I clicked on the forum link on the home page of this site, it redirected me to eBay.

I have used ad-aware, and although I did find a number of cookies and spyware, I was able to delete, the message still shows up. A friend suggested trying AVG, but I had actually downloaded a free copy, and ran into problems running it, and had to un-install that program, so I am a little leary of doing that. Another freind suggested Housecall, and when I tried that, it seemed to take a long time, and once it had found things on my computer, and I tried to clean it, there was no indictation that it had actually done so, in the two times I tried it.

Can anyone tell me exactly what _PTAHYDRA is, why it is on my computer, and what I can do about it? I am a novice at computers, so if anyone can give me advice or suggestions that are easy to follow, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a kodak easy share camera?

t3cii

t3cii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I do actually! In fact I installed the software that came with it just the other week so I could check out the photos I took. Why? Could that have something to with it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup....you don't actually need the easy share software to get the pictures off the camera...i'd uninstall the easy share software....when you connect your camera to the PC (either from the dock or the usb cable) it SHOULD get detected as if it were a USB hard drive....andyou can just browse it through "my computer" just like any other hard drive

t3cii

t3cii

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so I unistalled the software that came with the camera. Did not get any _PTAHYDRA message after I loged off, but as I said earlier, it does not always appear on screen.

So, what then does it have to do the Kodak EasyShare camera? Is that message common when using that software? I guess it does, if you asked me if I had the camera (which was a gift I got just a week ago). But what does _PTAHYDRA mean? I have found very little information on the subject.

Thanks for the help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So, what then does it have to do the Kodak EasyShare camera? Is that message common when using that software? I guess it does, if you asked me if I had the camera (which was a gift I got just a week ago). But what does _PTAHYDRA mean? I have found very little information on the subject.

i can't fully answer those questions...i've personally seen this error and through research i've found the same answers...haven't been able to find the purpose of that process...just know that it's bad....and the easy share software itself is stupid anyway