Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does anyone out there run Battlefield 2 with an ATI 3850 and Vista?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Several people seem to have had this happen to them:

My friend just recently installed the new HD 3850 with new Catalyst drivers and All of his other games including BF2142 work fine, but, when he goes to launch BF2 the splash screen appears the monitor turns black, then flashes, then he is back to desktop. I suggested to add the force res size command during launch and He uses both adapters for dual monitors and he tried disabling the other, and still no luck. I had him check Even Log in Admin tools for any specific error and there was none.. any idea to what the problem could be ?
He is also running 64bit XP with an AMD Opteron.
oh sorry and I forgot he also did try a complete re-install of bf2+expansion+SpecialForces+patches and still nothing.

vaker5 said:

Keep reinstalling bf2 can be a pain, nothin wrong with the card trust me ive been through it

DellUser1 said:

Make sure your friend deletes the BF2 profile folder prior to reinstalling, that might work.

vaker5 said:

Delluser.....dell why oh why????

physx7 said:

Hey I was planning on getting a 3850 and battlefield 2. Does anyone out there run BF2 on a 3850 with no problems?

IndigoMoss said:

Go into My Documents and find the Battlefield 2 folder and in there go to Profiles. Then go through each folder and open the video.con file with notepad. You should see VideoSettings.setResolution. Set it to VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz and do the same for the other folders in the profile folder. Then get rid of your forced resolution and see if it opens.

I had the same problem you had and that's what I had to do. After you do that and if it works, then set your forced resolution through the shortcut and see if it works

physx7 said:

Hey IndigoMoss,

What OS are you using?

bwdsmart said:

when i get this problem i just delete the bf2 folder in my documents completely. that has almost always solved the problem. you'll lose your controls, but its better then reinstallin over and over...

IndigoMoss said:

Hey IndigoMoss,

What OS are you using?\

I'm using Vista 32-bit, but I had the problem when I was using XP SP2.

physx7 said:

I was using XP SP2

32 bit or 64?

IndigoMoss said:

32-bit, I had too many problems with drivers and compatibility with XP x64 on my laptop. Definitely try what I mentioned early though, it fixed the problem for me. If it doesn't work, just delete the whole profiles folder

Ok so all that is kinda long but I thought maybe someone here might also have the same problem. Ok onto my question: does anyone here run a ATI 3850, Vista Home premium 32 bit, and Battlefield 2 with no problems?

Edited by Krusha, 05 December 2007 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is most likely an issue with the drivers, not the card.

ford123

ford123

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
at least I don't

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

That is most likely an issue with the drivers, not the card

How would one go about fixing that? Would rolling back to a older driver help? All his other games worked fine.

Edited by Krusha, 06 December 2007 - 09:19 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would attempt to reinstall the existing drivers. Make sure you follow these steps:

1) Uninstall your current drivers.
2) Reboot
3) Close out all possible applications, especially real time anti-virus program
4) Unplug all USB devices
5) Install new drivers
6) Reboot

If that does not correct the problem then I believe your best option will be to wait for newer drivers. They have been coming out fairly often since the release of Vista.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Unplug all USB devices

What if my mouse is USB? I don't think I have a PS\2 port either.

Edited by Krusha, 06 December 2007 - 05:05 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
As a precaution I would do without a mouse for the short time you need to reinstall the drivers. To make it easier download the drivers in advance but don't install them. Keep them on your desktop so it can easily be reached with just the keyboard. Your Tab key cycles between your windows/start menu/ and desktop. The enter key will fire up the installer.

If you are having a bit of trouble then just go ahead and use the mouse. I personally have had problems with USB devices plugged in during drivers installation so I always recommend unplugging them when possible.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Is there an explanation for USB devices messing up driver installations?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Not that I know of. That is something that has came from personal experience. It has happened to me before. In my case is was an Xbox 360 controller.

The issues with my drivers at the time were very simular to the problems described.

cjusmc15

cjusmc15

• Pip
  • 9 posts
if you want really good battlefield answers go to www.gamefaqs.com and go to the pc section, then B, battlefield 2 and then post your question. you'll get really quick answers and the people know exactly what the answer is 90% of the time. you'll find a definant answer that way.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic....ard=920407'
just create an account and start posting.