Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just one link stopped working?!

• Please log in to reply

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Great Guys!!!

CTFS works fine again!!! My firewall's back again and it was easier than I was afraid of. I had to make sure ctfs was ON the safelist AND OFF the block list. I might have missed one or the other before I posted here, but I don't see how anything could have changed by itself all of a sudden. It worked fine for the 2 or so years that I've been using these credit cards.

Anyway, there's still this one last issue that I mentioned in the last paragraph of my last posting.
Every time I open a desktop icon a window opens up asking me which program I'd like to use to open the 'file'. I have to click on IE in the menu and OK. I also always check the box 'always use this setting to open files of this type' or something like that. PDF (adobe) files open up right away like before.
This issue coincides with having both IE and firefox installed, and then uninstalling firefox. Actually this didn't start happening until uninstall.

It looks like this is the last issue concerning this problem.

Thanx a Lot Guys!!! :)

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Great to hear it! I'm glad everything is back to normal again, glad we could assist.

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
You're welcome!

But there's still one last issue; see the last paragraph on my last 2 postings for details.

Thanx in advance, Ed!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sorry about that, completely overlooked that one. Can you tell me which files have the problems?

If it is only shortcuts, you can try the LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix from Doug Knox's File Association Fixes list.

Regards,

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm sorry, but I don't know how to deal with this. I downloaded, opened and saved to my documents, but when I double click on it all I get is an HTML gibberish window that I don't know what to do with. They're talking about 'extracting it to hard disk' and 'regedit' and I don't have a clue!?!?

Thanx, again.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Maybe this will help, here's quoted from the page I linked you to:

The files listed here are all ZIP files, which contain a REG (Registry) file. Download the ZIP and open it. Extract the REG file to your hard disk and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad. Each of the REG files contains the default settings for the file extension indicated. For the ZIP file fix, the download is a REG file, since ZIP's aren't working anyway!

Try right-clicking the file after you have extracted it and see if you can see a Merge option. If so, choose that option.

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK, let's see if I'm doing this right.
I download the zip file (2, there's another one about IE desktop icons), open them, save to My Documents.
Double click opens HTML window, on both.
Right click, Merge, opens same window, on both.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanx for your patience!! Ed!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
That's strange, your REG files must also be associated with Internet Explorer. Let's take care of that first. Download the REG file association fix. You can unzip it to the same location as the other fixes (My Documents I think). Next, you're going to need to enter a command in the command line:

Go to Start | Run, type the following command, and press Enter:
cmd /k reg import "%userprofile%\My Documents\xp_regfile.reg"

Please make sure to include the " marks. Let me know whether the merge was successful. You should now be able to double-click the other file and import it into the registry.

Regards,

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Error: Invalid File Format
That's what it tells me when I click open on the grey window, which brings me to the black window, so I try again there, and the same error message happens again.

Did this whole thing happen just because I tried firefox?
I was hoping this last issue was going to be easy!
I hate pestering you guys, and wasting your time!

Got any other tricks?

Thanx, Ed!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
No you don't have to worry, it's not a waste of time to help you! I have a feeling your problem may have been the System Mechanic 7 Pro 'repaired broken shortcuts' option.

Try downloading the BAT file from the following page:
http://www.dougknox....p_easy_file.htm

The file is in the second link ("HERE"). Unzip the file and double-click it to run. If it doesn't run, right-click and choose Run. If it still doesn't run then let me know.

Ax

Advertisements

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I guess it ran because a black window opened and scrolled down like a bat outta [bleep] and closed down in like 1.5s.
So I tried opening my ebay icon and it's still the same.

Getting weird, eh?

Thanx, Ed!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Maybe that's why they call them BAT files.

Can you right-click the xp_regfile.reg file, choose Edit, and post what is listed for me?

Also, copy and paste the following command into the Start | Run window:
cmd /k reg query HKCR\regfile\shell\open\command > %temp%\reg.txt && notepad %temp%\reg.txt && del %temp%\reg.txt && exit

You should get a notepad window opened up for you, copy everything in it and paste it into this thread. If you get an error, let me know the exact error that occurred.

Regards,

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello again, Ax!
I kept you up late, didn't I. I'm a night owl. Sorry about that.
Anyway, here's the regfile thing:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg]
@="regfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg\PersistentHandler]
@="{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile]
@="Registration Entries"
"EditFlags"=dword:00100000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\DefaultIcon]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
00,5c,00,72,00,65,00,67,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,74,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,\
2c,00,31,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\edit\command]
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,25,00,31,00,00,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open]
@="Mer&ge"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command]
@="regedit.exe \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\print]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\print\command]
00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,4e,00,4f,00,\
54,00,45,00,50,00,41,00,44,00,2e,00,45,00,58,00,45,00,20,00,2f,00,70,00,20,\

ng:

In a few minutes I'll have the other thing ready.
Here it is:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command
<NO NAME> REG_SZ NOTEPAD.EXE %1

Thanx, Ed!

Edited by Edward52, 11 December 2007 - 09:25 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK the first one looks good, but the second one needs a bit of work. This will require us to go into the registry and make some changes.

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications
Go to Start | Run, type the following command, and press Enter:
cmd /k reg add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command /ve /d "regedit.exe \"%1\"" /f

The first message should be that the operation completed successfully. If not, please let me know, otherwise proceed with attempting to merge the REG files into the registry again.

Regards,

Ax

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, jeez! I was hoping this was gonna be easy.
OK, the only thing I don't have clear is your very last instruction;

If the operation completed successfully, am I done? Or do I still have to merge the REG files into the registry?
And how do I do that? Are they the 'file association fixes' that I downloaded, open and click on 'Merge"?

Thanx, Ed!