Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Upgrade Questions

• Please log in to reply

FireArmor

FireArmor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Everyone.
I have a Hp dv2000 laptop with an amd processor in it that i would like to upgrade and was wondering if that is possible. If so what is the biggest processor i can put in it and what is it called so that i can find one.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi FireArmor, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Apparently your computer has an Intel Core Duo processor? Link. What specific model do you have?

Generally, notebook computers (laptops) are very expensive to upgrade and the performance increase doesn't justify the cost. It can also be very difficult to find notebook parts.

FireArmor

FireArmor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
its has an AMD dual core prossesor

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to find the exact model number? Or better yet, the support homepage for it. :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I think his laptop is similar to THIS if not the same. Also I don't know if its possible to Up the CPU, its not usual that HP allows that. Also most laptops don't have the option, however I will look it up.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 09 December 2007 - 06:56 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ah, good searching skills there SOORENA!

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thank you! I sorta cheated since I knew HP usually has the same code for AMD and Intel since my cousin has one, lol. Also again I'll try looking but I don't know if its possible to upgrade the CPU.

SOORENA

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you have never upgraded a laptop I highly suggest you don't do this.
A better CPU will have higher heat output that could cause it to fry your CPU and other parts of your laptop. It will also void you warranty, without a doubt.
Laptops are not made to be upgradeable, while in some cases it can be done, unless you know exactly what your doing I highly advice you do not do this.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 07:21 PM.