Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avg 10 times to get computer to turn on?

• Please log in to reply

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer does not turn on all the time when I turn it on...my monitor reads Warning Entering Energy Saving Mode. It sounds like the computer is starting up then just stops. On average it will take me 10 times to get it going. My IT guy at work told me to turn off the System Standyby and I did but it still will not turn on 100% of the time.
Any ideas of what is going on? Could this be a hardware issue or a virus issue?
Thank you in advance ~ Nic :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
There are a few possibilities to this:

1.) Insufficient power supply from the PSU.
2.) Fan is overheating once started.
3.) Dirty fan.

If it's the PSU, try using a PSU that supplies higher power.

If it's the fan overheating, try to face the fan outwards to a space to let the air circulate and see what happens.

If it's the fan getting dirty, clean it out. DO NOT use your bare hands to clean it out as there are a LOT of static electricity in the CPU if it's a desktop.

Also, it can't be a virus problem. If it is, the computer would've at least booted into XP.

~Kelvin

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well,we took the cpu apart and used canned air to clean it out...wasn't too bad. put it back together, same issues. is the psu my power strip? it is not new, had it the entire time i had my computer (3 years) so i wouldn't think that would be it.
i might take it to a computer place to look at it, maybe it is the fan over heating??

thanks for your help...anymore will be greatly appreciated

~Nic

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
So, we're left with the following:

1.) Overheating fan
2.) Malware (very unlikely)

Download Everest and install it. Open it and select the Sensor option in the dropdown menu of Computer. Copy everything listed there.

~Kelvin

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Does the machine work propperly after it comes on ? Is the power configuration set to put the computer to sleep or hibernate ?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Does the machine work propperly after it comes on ? Is the power configuration set to put the computer to sleep or hibernate ?

My IT guy at work told me to turn off the System Standyby and I did but it still will not turn on 100% of the time.

This should suffice.

~Kelvin

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I wanted to know if the machine worked properly when IT DOES TURN ON. System stand by and sleep are not exactly the same

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. Ok then.

~Kelvin

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you Kelvin, will download that right now.
Wolfgang, yes it seems to work fine once on. I do not have a screensaver on and I have turned off the hybernate mode. Just a few minutes ago it took me 12 times to turn on. Last night it went on right away for me.
Off to do my Everst assigment. :)
Will follow up when done

~Nic

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
P.S.

it also sounds kindof grindy....

This Everest thing is taking a loooong time to DL :)

Advertisements

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Kelvin~

here is the sensor report

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type SMSC DME1737 (SMBus 2Eh)

Temperatures
Motherboard 42 °C (108 °F)
CPU 46 °C (115 °F)
Seagate ST3160023AS 49 °C (120 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 1928 RPM
Chassis 721 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.47 V
+2.5 V 2.50 V
+3.3 V 3.32 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 11.88 V
VTR 3.37 V
Debug Info F F2 0A 3C 1D FF FF FF FF
Debug Info T 2E 2A 00 81
Debug Info V C0 BC C1 C5 BE

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
The temperatures are ok, voltage ok, and well, the fans... It seems to be running at medium. Hmm.. there's nothing suspicious here..

Now, let's see. Have you installed any drivers/programs or updated anything recently? (before this happened)

~Kelvin

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Good morning Kelvin~

To be honest I am not sure. I do not think I have. Virus stuff and Microsoft updates are the only ones I can think of. I have not added any new programs. Recently (about a week and a half ago) I added Windows Defender but that was after the fact. I do know I DL Limewire but I got a known spyware from that and removed it the same night and that is when I DL the defender item...but this was before my issue.

My poor computer, this morning it took me 13 times again. My notepad looks like a jailmate tracking his years. ha

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
try using a known good power supply. Even if you have testedyour power supply it may not be good. oh why not leave the machine on once it is up (I think Kevlin first asked about the power supply so I asumed that you tried a known good already)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
sorry, the psu can be putting out the proper voltage but not enough AMPERAGE to start up. It takes more power to start up a system than to run one. electronics do wear out so the psu working for three years does not mean it is not the problem