Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avg 10 times to get computer to turn on?

• Please log in to reply

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Good morning Wolgang~
I have an APC Power strip. Can you recommend a good one that is not too expensive.
I only leave it one if it is a Sat or Sun...leaving it on seems to me would use up a lot of energy and cause a higher electric bill. Maybe I am wierd for thinking that but I would like to solve it then just keep it on as a quick fix.
Thx~Nic

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
what is the output voltage and amperage printed on the psu ? better yet what is the make and model of your computer. I will look this up when I get to work, oh many people think of turning the computer of to save power, I meant just while you are having this problem as I worry about causing further damage

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
back in one of your posts you mentioned a "grinding" noise...may be your hard drive is about to give up the ghost...
first thing to do is BACKUP anything you can't live without to CD...DVD... or external drives just to be safe...
then go here and get HD tune...do a error scan and also check your drives health....

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer starts to load, meaning, showing signs of life then stops, it might be some wrong setting in the BIOS. Please set the BIOS to default values or, even better, reset the BIOS. If you need help with that let us know.

Could you tell us what happens exactly? What happens and at what stage of the loading process the computer turns off.

If there is no response at all when you press the power button:

1: It could be a faulty power switch or loose connections of the power switch to the motherboard. If you are capable of doing this: open the box and make sure the connectors are well secured to place. Even better, remove the power switch connector and try to short the two pins on the motherboard with a thin screwdriver. If you manage to start the computer each time then your power button is faulry.

2: The psu is triggered by the motherboard when the power button is pressed. Please do the following: disconnect the large connector that connects the psu to the motherboard. Reinstall firmly. Repeat this 2-3 times to make sure that if there is any oxidation or dirt it will be rubbed off. Do not use exessive force. At the same time make sure that the 4 pin square connector that supply the motherboard with 12 volts is well secured.

3: Make sure the reset button is not partly pressed in.

4: Like others before me said, it could be a psu which is in a marginal state.

Edited by The Skeptic, 13 December 2007 - 10:32 AM.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Do what The Skeptic mentioned - it's all good stuff, but 120oF hard drive? I've got mine set to shut down at 131oF. I wonder if your sensor values are at idle or not. Seems hot for a HDD. Does your computer make a clicking noise?

Does your BIOS support a system hardware monitor? If it does, open the case and leave it open and monitor the temperature through your BIOS. I think 120oF for a HDD is too much.

I live in Brisbane Australia, and it's very hot, so heat is a problem before I even turn the system on! I once had a system to work on which kept shutting down. I left the case open with a fan (y'know, one that you use in a living room) directly on the motherboard/CPU, and it'd run top-notch games. I cleaned the system (especially the CPU fan) and put it in a big case with fans located near the HDD, and I'm still using it to this day!!

Heat is a huge consumption of power, and it's usually attributed to space and fans. It's a contradiction that you need to install more fans for the PSU to operate more effectively, but it works. Lower the heat by using fans reduces power consumption. Try this:

1. Clean the CPU fan as well as you can
2. Clean the top of the HDD as dust sometimes accumulates and the drive can't - 'breathe'
3a. Leave the case open and monitor the temperatures in the BIOS, or
3b. Leave the case open and monitor the temperature using software.

If there's a significant difference by leaving the case open with an external fan on it, you need a better case and more fans that pushes the hot air out of your system.

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wolfgang....I am not sure how to tell the output voltage but here is the model (i think) 520 HP Intel Pentium 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology. you are probably so right about leaving it it instead of hard booting it 100 times everyday...I will leave it on the rest of the weekend until I do that HD Tune and other suggestions. I will have to have my dad do the technical stuff with the tools though. lol
Wow, I just got a lot of advise and input, you all are awesome. I am going to deidcate tomorrow to backup my pictures and such then I am going to follow what you all posted. Being 6 pm now I do not want to spend my Sat evening doing this.
All have a great night!!! :)

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Skeptic~how do I reet the BIOS? I am not a computer person at all except a pro online shopper! :)

When I press the power on it sounds like it is going to start normally but then it just stops, it sounds like it is on but just resting, my monitor just has the message warning entering energy saving mode and that is that. Also, the grinding sometimes happens if I leave it in this rest stage, kind of sounds like it is trying to work but it is not able to find what it is looking for. Sometimes when you turn it on after I unplug it from my power source, it sounds like a huge rush of air then stops. That typically happens when I unplug it for a bit then try again.
I can always tell when it will work and not work, if there is no flash of my blue monitor on button I know it will not turn on.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Toggle the BIOS reset jumper.

You may need to refer to the motherboard's manual for this.

If you can get into the BIOS, there should be an option to "Load Defaults". Choose that and then "Save and Exit".

From wiki.answers.com:
If you cannot get into the BIOS because you do not know the password, look for a jumper on the motherboard marked "Pass", "PWD", "BIOS", etc. Typically you should move the jumper over one pin, or it may have just two pins, and they need a shorting jumper on them. Do that for a few seconds, and replace it as you found it. That should clear the password, and perhaps all other non-default settings, as well.

~Kelvin

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi nicmz1772.

It is very possible that your computer has a problem that needs some professional backgroung to be solved. My opinion is that your best option is to take the machine to be diagnosed at a good lab.

Kind Regards

The Skeptic

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am afraid that I must agree. There are shops that will charge you a nominal diagnostic fee. At this point I would want the machine on my bench to try differant approches. I am concerned that the multiple attempts to boot may have caused further damage.

Advertisements