Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to stop/prevent search engines from indexing my internet activity

• Please log in to reply

emilia

emilia

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Im not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so my apologies in advance.

Just as the question is in the topic title, is there any way ? It seems like everything i do and sign up for on the internet seems to get recorded. And even if, by my knowledge, no one is really searching me(except myself) i dont like the idea of all my goings on being tracked and displayed for the whole world to see. I know, a bit ironic if i want to use the internet right ?
A little help maybe ? Tips ? Advice ? How ?

Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Emilia

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey Emilia,

The internet and search engines do a great job at immortalizing your every action. The only solution is to stop using the internet completely. OK, maybe a bit extreme, but you can definitely make sure that you are not posting any personally identifiable information for all eyes to see.

Other than that, sit back and enjoy your actions being forever written into the hordes of databases the search engine gods employ!

Ax

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you don't want Google to track your surfing habits, then block their cookies.

If you're using Firefox, select Tools > Options.
Select the Privacy tab.
Click 'Exceptions' beside the 'Accept Cookies' box.
Add:
www.google.com
googlesyndication.com
googleanalytics.com
then select block for each of these links.

Now, you can search without them tracking what you're searching. Though, Google still has 1 unblockable way - saving your search term. Most sites have googleanalytics.com on their sites, and that helps to track the user's surfing activity, habits, websites viewed, etc. Be sure not to allow those to track.

Also, try this link if you want to block elements from these. Supposedly, googleanalytics.com uses JavaScript and/or cookies to track the user's surfing habits, so be wary of that.

If you need any more help, please post here.

~Kelvin

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Emilia,

To add, please note that Kelvin's instructions will do well for you to keep your internet browsing usage from being tracked, but if someone is to look you up on the internet (I believe that is what you are concerned with) through a search engine, these instructions will not prevent them from finding information about you if you have it posted online.

If you are just talking about internet usage tracking, it isn't displayed for the whole world to see, just you and the services you interact with...and maybe some third parties, depending on the service.

Ax