Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I shut off my FlashPlayer and can't turn it back on

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
I am perfectly willing to turn in my college degree for being this stoopid, but would be eternally grateful for any help at all.

(I shut it off because it kept crashing my browser when I was in Europe and thought it would be easy to turn back on).

TIA

~amusing(but not too bright)lisa

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can't "shut off" Flash. You can uninstall it though.

You can always try to reinstall flash from adobe.

What browser are you using?

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
It is definitely not iuninstalled, I can see that I have version 9.0 onboard. I did click something about disabling Flash Player in a fit of pique...

I am using Windows XP

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
Well, you learn something new everyday. I found this website, http://johnhaller.co...sable_flash.asp that discusses disabling flash. Unless you downloaded any programs to block flash you can try the registry hack. Download the "flash_remove_disable.reg" file at the bottom of the page. Close all IE windows and run the reg file. Open IE and see if that fixed it.

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
So you htink there is any chance I could do this without downloading/running software? It seems there should be a system setting.

I am combing the archives for the system security teststhat tell how to disable ActiveX and Java and all that. I am certain there is a checkbox in there somewhere that needs checking (or unchecking)

...but then, I am obviously out of my league here and if download I must, I will aquiesce

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
If you believe that you disabled it under Internet Options (in the control panel), you can go under security and click the "reset to default level" and go under advanced and click "restore defaults".

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
You're a genius! That was it.

Many thanks.

Shall I send my degree along, then?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal