Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crapppy usb wireless

• Please log in to reply

bacitr

bacitr

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just bought an Airlink 101 802.11g usb wifi adapter model awll3052v2 installed it and everything. problem is when i connect to my wireless , it keeps dropping and reconnecting. i even stuck that thing in a strainer for better reception , any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi bacitr. Welcome to the forum.
Check your router's wireless channel number setting. Too low a number can cause dropped connections, as can cross-channel interference from your neighbour using the same channel --- some wireless adaptor setup utilities will show the channel of each device in it's range, so pick a different one, bearing in mind that higher (10/11/12) is usually better.

On the other hand, you might simply be too far away from the router if it's a standard range USB adaptor (and most USB types usually are). If you can fit a PCMCIA cardbus card (if it's for a laptop) or a PCI wireless adaptor (if it's a desktop PC) you then have a choice of range-capabilities (standard, wide, and extra wide). The netgear 'rangemax' wireless adaptors are particularly good at maintaining a connection all around the house and even outside.

Edited by pip22, 06 December 2007 - 03:58 PM.