Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will no longer start

• Please log in to reply

Harlem

Harlem

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Morning All

I recently helped with my mates Laptop after it started to run very slowly

Now he is getting the following message on start up

We apologize for the inconvernience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent Hardware or Software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding , restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shutdown to protect your files and folders, choose last know good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or becasue the power of reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally

I have ran through the list of options given (Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, Start Wind. Normally Etc.) but always end up back at the 'We apologize for the inconvernience, but windows...' mesage with the same options

Previous to this problem, he was running without any security on the laptop, so I sorted this with the following items

AVG Antivirus
AVG Spyware
Super Antispyware
Ad-Ware 2007
Tune-Up Utilities
Win Patrol
Combofix
VundoFix
ATF Cleaner

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to perform xp repair (a link in the list below) or use the restore disk, or option, of the computer. If you manage to boot the computer and have all your data in place, please proceed to the malware forum (a link in the list below).