Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup cannot find hard drive

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have just purchased a Campaq Presario laptop v3607TU. It came with only "FreeDos" installed. If I bot up, it goes to the c prompt, and I can see call the directories on the hard drive.

I inserted my Windows XP bootable disk into the CD/DVD slot, and restarted. It booted from the CD, and the setup files begin to be read. Then I get a message that says, Setup cannot find any hard drives on your computer. The only option is F3 QUIT.

Any helps available?

Thanks
Paul

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I believe that laptop has a SATA hard disk drive - yes? (Serial ATA, as opposed to the more widespread Parallel ATA which XP supports natively). XP does not support SATA disk drives natively, hence it cannot find the disk. During XP setup you have to press F6 when prompted, to install the SATA drivers from a floppy disk, after which XP setup will continue.

SATA drivers are supplied either by the laptop manufacturer or the SATA hard disk manufacturer.

Edited by pip22, 06 December 2007 - 03:44 PM.

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thank you for the info. I will give it a try!
The new computer came with no CD...they said I would have to download everything from the compaq website!
Paul