Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will this work?

• Please log in to reply

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey guys...

My Pc spec is : 600W PSU
Intel Core Duo CPU 6300 @ 1.86Ghz 1.87Ghz
3.00 GB of ram
nvidia 640mb 8800gts graphics card
Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard equipped with two pci-e x16 slots

What im wanting to know is if i i will be able to run an nvidia 7900 gt as a slave gpu aswell as my 8800gts as the master gpu.. and if so what size psu should i buy.. because i know that 600 wont suffice.

Would really appreciate it if you guys could help thanks a bunch!

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Unfortunately no, that will not work. In order to run in SLI you must have 2 of the same video cards, so either 2x8800 gts OR 2x7900gts.

Also, note that intel chipsets will not OFFICIALLY supports SLI. Crossfire (2xATI cards), but not SLI (2Xnvidia cards). You can get hacked drivers to make them work, but I'm not sure how well they are supported.

Edited by kidnova, 06 December 2007 - 12:01 PM.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks m8.. but erm with my current processing power.. what size psu do i neeed for my 8800gts to work at its optimum rate without really much overclocking?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It depends on the PSU and what other components you have in the system. For a typical configuration of CPU, 1 or 2 HDs, 1 or 2 DVD/CD players, and 1 8800 GTS your 600W PSU should be fine if it's a quality PSU. You may or may not need to bump it up to 750W in order to run 2 8800s. Your best bet is to search for some reviews that include power output and see what type of PSUs they are recommending.

Here is a sample review:
http://www.guru3d.co...deocards/416/4/

What you need to look at when it comes to PSUs in addition to total wattage is efficiency as well as the number of Amps on the 12+ volt rail. There are other things, obviously, but those are the two that you need to be most concerned with when picking an appropriate PSU for your system. Also read reviews on the PSUs you are considering before you buy.

Edited by kidnova, 06 December 2007 - 12:17 PM.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114930

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114933

both of these from the reviews are great for supporting 8800's the question is which one?
I would prefer the cheaper one but does it really make that much of a difference? Also it says 26 amperes at least for a 8800 so how many amperes would i be able to get to this with one of the psu's above.. with 2dvd drives and 1 320gb harddrive?

thanks again for the help :)

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Those are both excellent PSUs and which one you choose depends on your plans. According to the specs the 430w has 16amps on each of the 12+ rails for a total of 48amps. The 650w has 19amps on each rail for a total of 57. If you intend to stick with the 1 8800 and what you currently have in your case then the cheaper one should work fine. If you're planning on adding a 2nd card in the future or adding additional hardware (more HDs, sound card, etc...) then you'll probably be best off buying the bigger one so you won't have to upgrade your PSU again in the future.

Edited by kidnova, 06 December 2007 - 12:36 PM.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
if i go with the cheaper one how would i get the 36 amps to my gpu.. because as u said 1 rail has 16amps and there is only one cable which can go into the gpu.. ?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yes, your gpu would be able to pull however many amps it needs. The 16amp limit is set on each rail, not on the cable connecting to your card. Also, note the correction I made to my previous post...the total amps available would be 48, not 36.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
so with the one cable simply plugged in to my gpu as well as the gpu in the motherboard slot the gpu would be able to extract its optimum amount of amps? Oh lol :) i only said 36 because i know thats how much 1 8800 needs to run optimally.. thanks a bunch mate.. you guys here really know your stuff :)

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I just went back an looked at the specs on the 430w PSU again because the AMP ratings seemed high. If you look closely, underneath it states that the max 12V output is actually 32 Amps. It should still be enough to power your system since nvidia recommends a 400w+ PSU with 26A on the 12 volt rails, but it's something you should consider if you do plan on doing any upgrades in the future. You might be better off going with the bigger PSU.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Unfortunately no, that will not work. In order to run in SLI you must have 2 of the same video cards, so either 2x8800 gts OR 2x7900gts.

Also, note that intel chipsets will not OFFICIALLY supports SLI. Crossfire (2xATI cards), but not SLI (2Xnvidia cards). You can get hacked drivers to make them work, but I'm not sure how well they are supported.

Here in G2G we don't recommend people to get hacked things because chances are the companies know why its not good to try doing the impossible or even if it is possible we try to respect their decisions.

Soorena

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks a lot m8.. ermm this is my psu at the moment...

http://www.ebuyer.co...ew_order_by=RUF

AC INPUT: 230VAC 10A 50-60Hz
DC
Output
Max +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
28A 35A 30A 0.5A 0.8A 2.5A
600W

has the cheaper antec one above got a better amps output?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
DO you mean that you want to get that PSU? Because I highly discourage you to do so and I highly encourage you to get http://www.ebuyer.co..._specifications. Or the 600 watt version. That PSU has high amps but I don't trust the brand, I mean come on Gold Value? What kind of name is that?

Soorena

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
no i alredy have the gold value crappy psu.. im talking about the 430w antec link above.. the post in which i posted 2 links..

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

no i alredy have the gold value crappy psu.. im talking about the 430w antec link above.. the post in which i posted 2 links..

Nooo way, too weak. The 650 watt however might do the trick but since everyone is going with the sweet OCZ 700 watt deal I advise you to go with that also, it is worth the money.

Soorena