Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will this work?

• Please log in to reply

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ye but the 8800 doesnt matter on the wattage.. it matters on the output of amperes...
and the 430w provides 32 amps in total which is enough to power 1 8800

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
The 430w Antec should be enough to power your system, but I understand where Soorena is coming from when you factor in the ability for future upgrades. Let me see if I can look around and find something in the 550 - 600W range that will meet your needs and budget.

Edited by kidnova, 12 December 2007 - 10:20 AM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Take a look at this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/109552

It's a very good PSU at a very good price. It's certified to crossfire the X1900 series which were known to be power hungry beasts. I've included the link to the product homepage below.

http://www.hipergrou.../hpu-4m580.html

The good thing about this PSU is that the 580W is the rate CONTINUOUS output, not the peak output which is actually 630W. It also has 38A on the 12V rails.

Edited by kidnova, 12 December 2007 - 10:34 AM.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I see where you guys are coming from i should have mentioned this before.. this if my final pc upgrade for at least 2 years i would say.. and i appreciate a lot the effort
ive ordered the 430w psu and so with that my system specs should be

Atec Truepower 430w psu
Intel Core Duo CPU 6300 @ 1.86Ghz 1.87Ghz
3.00 GB of ram
nvidia 640mb 8800gts graphics card
Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard equipped with two pci-e x16 slots

does that spec seem stable enough to get good frame rates out of my gpu?
i know uve sed the 430w psu will do the job just making sure before i bother to take out my old psu.. thanks a bunch:)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes the 430W PSU should just get you by, though getting anything less then 500W for a modern PSU isn't wise. I'd suggest overclocking your processor to the 2.2GHz range so that it isn't a bottleneck for your GPU.
James

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
okay so if i needed a quick 5 minute lesson on how to overclock my processor.. what would i do lol?
yeh seriously erm how do i overclock my processor .. i have no clue whatsoever!

oh and also on the psu box it says the max ouput of amps is 32 ...
but then on the table of amp outputs it says each 12v rail has 16 amps so that would mean with 3 it wuld equal out to 48 ? :S
that just confuses me :S

thanks a bunch :)

Edited by trojanvundosucks, 13 December 2007 - 08:01 AM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
As far as the PSU is concerned, 16amps is the max pull on each individual rail, however the PSU is only capable of producing a max of 32amps TOTAL on all the rails, so it's possible that all 32 amps could be distributed on just two of the rails if that's what the system required, but most of the time it will be distributed between all 3.

As far as oveclocking is concerned, take your time and do some research before you try it, don't just jump in. You can easily damage your processor or another component in your system if you don't know what you're doing. Start with the guide to overclocking pinned at the top of this forum and then read some other guides. Here are a couple to get you started.

http://www.xbitlabs....y/oc-guide.html
http://www.extremete...,2188777,00.asp

Also, keep in mind that what you can do as far as overclocking is largely dependent on your components, specifically your mobo, CPU, and RAM. Most overclocking is done from the bios and depending on your motherboard you may or may not be able to overclock from there.

Edited by kidnova, 13 December 2007 - 08:56 AM.

trojanvundosucks

trojanvundosucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i think ill leave the overclocking out.. ill hook up my new psu and see how everything runs then ill decide whether to overclock ma cpu or not :)