Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which GPS

• Please log in to reply

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Thinking about getting a GPS system for my mom for christmas. Need one thats easy to use and realitvely inexpensive. Anyone have one that meets these requirements and can recommend it?

Thanks,

:)

Excal

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
My mother bought me the Mio DigiWalker Portable Car Navigation System with GPS C220 Portable Car Navigation System. I use it and really haven't grasped how to use it very well, but when I need to use it, I give it to my 10-year-old (I am dead serious), and he works it for me. I don't know how much it was but knowing my Mom, she looked through two years of Consumer's Reports and priced it at 10 stores to get the best deal. Hope that helps.

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
thanks for that info val :)

Do you have to update the maps? does it talk to you? any problem seeing the screen?

Jenn11803

Jenn11803

spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey! I was looking for a GPS as well. We have an iway550 which we LOVE, but it is kinda big and cumbersome and it shakes from the vibration of the car. I put some links below that may help you narrow your search! Hope they help!

http://www.expotv.co...ORTH-AME/211604

http://www.expotv.co...-GPS-Veh/209929

http://www.expotv.co...Auto-GPS/209550

http://www.expotv.co...-GPS-Nav/203913

Edited by Jenn11803, 06 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
thanks Jenn :)

guthix12

guthix12

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Garmin C330. It got the Consumer Report's best buy.. Check it out - It's awesome..

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Nice topic Excal, my mom needs one too. Boston isn't the easiest place to get around in - we spent three hours trying to find MIT once!!

Thanks to everyone who suggested one :)

My.Mission

My.Mission

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
For your warning...don't get a Mio. I work at Circuit City in the GPS Section. Mio may seem nice...but they aren't durable in cold weather. I strongly recommend a Garmin or a Magellan. There cheap...and last in the cold. Only thing that you maybe have to pay later are map updates every about 2 years or so...but they are optional. Other than that, Deciding between Garmin and Magellan is basically what features you want to come with your GPS. Bluetooth, Mp3 AUX, Traffic on demand, Text to Speak. It's all out to your likings. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.
Goodluck

My.Misison
Minnesota.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

thanks for that info val :)

Do you have to update the maps? does it talk to you? any problem seeing the screen?

I don't know if you have to update the maps. I haven't gotten that far yet. I really don't use it that much except when I am in the big city, which is about three times a year.
If you want me to ship it to you so you can try it out, I will do it. LMK. PM your mailing address and I'll send it Monday.

My.Mission

My.Mission

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
With every GPS, you'll need to update the map's every 2 years about...depending on the amount of road construction by your area. It costs around 40-60 dollars depending on the size of the new update and the brand of GPS you buy.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Good info. I'll get my mom one for Christmas, if I can find a store :)

My.Mission

My.Mission

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Anytime, good luck with the x-mas gift. GPS's are definitely a good gift :)

Excal

Excal

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts

If you want me to ship it to you so you can try it out, I will do it. LMK. PM your mailing address and I'll send it Monday.

Thanks for the offer Val!! My a few of my friends have one so I took them out for test drives this weekend. Will make my mind up this week!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Good luck. :)