Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot format USB memory to FAT32, NTSF only

• Please log in to reply

musicisair

musicisair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First off, my iPod and usb stick DO work on other windows machines....just not mine.

:) The Problem:
I've been trying to get my 5th gen 30gig iPod to work on my computer for about 10 hours now.

If you don't already know, the iPod firmware will only work on a FAT32 formatted iPod. The problem is that for some reason my windows xp pro sp2 system will not read my iPod if it is formatted this way.

It WILL read it if it is formatted as NTSF (which means i can only use it as a external hard drive instead of playing music/video).
This is also true for my Memorex USB stick, - NTSF only.

i will refer to the ipod and/or usb stick as usb drive from now on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

;) Things that don't seem right or that just aren't right:
1) When FAT32 formatted: I plug in my usb drive and go to my computer and I try to browse the drive i get an error stating the drive is not formatted and it asks me if i want to format it now.
2) When I say yes, and i select [FAT32] and [quick format] and press [select] i get a message saying that the volume cannot be formatted. However, if i select NTSF it will format it just fine.
3) When I go into Disk Management ([right click My Computer] [Manage] [Disk Management]) the usb drive shows up but the field for [file system] is blank.
4) This may not be relevant but in Device Manager under [other devices] it shows [RAID Controller] with a yellow question mark next to it. Windows cannot find a driver for it.

:) Some things i've tried:
I have uninstalled the drivers related to the iPod and usb flash drive and reinstalled them using the device manager to no avail. Updating the drivers has no effect.

I have also disabled all non-microsoft services as well as all start up applications in the System Configuration Utility (run: msconfig) to ensure that there wasn't a conflict with any applications/services.

I've tried some third party format tools but they do not work for fat32 on my machine either.

Panda Scan (the online virus scan tool) comes back clean.

Both the usb flash drive and my iPod did work as FAT32 in the past.

:) The cry for help:

I'm thinking that my computer's problem is lying somewhere in the registry.

Can you help me get this issue resolved? :)

--------------------
- David :)

Edited by musicisair, 07 December 2007 - 12:36 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Format it FAT32 on another computer and see what happens.

musicisair

musicisair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Format it FAT32 on another computer and see what happens.

I have, they format to FAT32 fine on my Win XP Home laptop and my iPod works great until I want to try it on my desktop machine.

It seems that my desktop machine is just having problems accessing anything FAT32.

musicisair

musicisair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Since my post:

I have downloaded the latest version of kaspersky which removed 3 adware files but other than that comes back clean.

Run RegCure to correct registry issues as well as other miscellaneous items.

and Flashed my Bios to the latest version.

Could this be an unheard of issue? Win XP not being able to read or format to FAT32?!?

Please help.

musicisair

musicisair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Someone here has to be able to guide me in some direction...I know you all are smarter than I am.

pretty please?

- David