Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Realtek ac97 BIG problems

• Please log in to reply

Lopie

Lopie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've checked online in numerous places, so I'm almost completely positive this is the driver I need, but when I try to install it, my computer completely crashes with no warning and no pop up. I'm fairly smart with computers, and I've tried other drivers, but NOTHING will work.
I used to have Windows XP Home, but installed Windows XP Pro instead, and I've been having problems ever since.
Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Do you have any service packs installed?

I assume this driver is for your onboard sound card, right? If so, did you get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website?

Can you go to Start -> Run and type devmgmt.msc [click ok]
In device manager, look under the 'Sound, video & game controllers' branch & let me know whats listed there. Also let me know if any of the devices in device manager has either a red 'x' or a yellow '!' next to them.

Lopie

Lopie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Windows XP Pro SP2, and listed under the device manager I've got:

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Multimedia Audio Controller (!)
Video Codecs

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
According to device manager, it looks like the sound card is already installed i.e. the multimedia audio controller entry.
If you double click on 'multimedia audio controller' entry, does it state in the properties box, under 'device status' that 'This device is working properly'?

Lopie

Lopie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It says, " The drivers for this device are not installed. (code 28)"

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok. Do you have a branded PC (i.e Dell, HP, Packard Bell etc) or a laptop?. If so, can you let me know what the manufacturer & model number/name is please?

If not, can you download & run Aida32 please:

http://www.majorgeek...ation_d181.html

You'll need to extract the files & then run aida32.exe. In the left pane, expand the branch called 'Motherboard', then click on the sub-entry also called 'Motherboard'

In the right pane, you should see Motherboard ID & Motherboard name. Let me know what it says for both of these.

Edited by Samm, 07 December 2007 - 07:06 PM.

Lopie

Lopie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 63-0100-000001-00101111-100504-iBRKDL_G$SR84510A
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel NetBurst
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bandwidth 4267 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 200 MHz
Bandwidth 1600 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type Intel Hub Interface
Bus Width 8-bit
Real Clock 67 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 267 MB/s

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is this a Gateway computer by any chance? If so, can you find a model number written anywhere on the case itself?

Apart from that, I have taken a bit of stab at guessing the motherboard model itself, based on the info you supplied from Aida32. It's an Intel board and using what I know about ID Strings with Intel Boards, I'm guessing it's an Intel D845GVSR.

Assuming I've got that right, then this should be the correct driver:

http://downloadcente...a...ms&lang=eng