Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Icons or Toolbar when booting XP

• Please log in to reply

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Howdy! For the past few days, I have been unable to boot my desktop properly. It will load the wallpaper, but no icons or toolbar. I have tried to revert to "lask known config", but it didn't solve the problem.

I found this article on Microsoft support which explains my problem EXACTLY!!

http://support.micro...kb/256194/en-us

But I hesitate to follow the "Resolution" instructions, because I am running XP and not Win 2000, which that support article was written for. I could not find a similar article written for XP.

Would someone PLEASE take a look at that article and let me know if that resolution would apply to XP. I don't want to screw up my CPU worse than it already is by going in a re-naming files.

THANKS!!

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If you do not get any icons/start/task bar, Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is not starting, or hanged. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select Processes. Find explorer.exe there. If it isn't there, then go to Applications > New Task. Enter explorer.exe in the bar.

If it gives you the "Explorer.exe has encountered a problem" error, please quote the error and the details down.

~Kelvin

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I believe Kelvin meant "go to File > New Task (Run). Enter explorer.exe ..."

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

I believe Kelvin meant go to File > New Task (Run). Enter explorer.exe...

It can be done that way too. Both ways can be used. ~Kelvin P.S.: There is an option there in the tab Applications, located below the box. Will post a screenshot when I get back to my computer.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Kelvin, my apologies. I never say the "New task" button in Applications before, always did the File / Run thing.

Thanks for the "gentle" nudge :)

Edited by Ztruker, 07 December 2007 - 08:32 PM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No probs. I'm glad to help.

Screenie:

Posted Image

Hope it helps you resolve your problems quicker.

~Kelvin