Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant reformat C:

• Please log in to reply

moffe

moffe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Iam running xp pro and i want a fresh start with a clean harddrive.

I insert the windows cd and choose to install windows but when i come to the place were you can format your harddrive (its a blue background and you see your partians) I only have one partian and i cant delete, it just says that it contains files needed for completing the installiation. So i cant erase my harddrive that way.

So I tried erasing it through windows but you cant format the unit your running windows from. No luck with format c: in dos either.

I have run out of options and have no idea how to reformat my harddrive. I need help plz!!

Advertisements

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

No luck with format c: in dos either.

What do you mean by DOS? Are you just going start > run > cmd? This isn't real DOS.

I suggest you try making a boot disk and use fdisk to format your hard drive. I can't remember off the top of my head perfectly (no access to a WinXP box right now) but I think this is how you do it:
- Insert floppy into your floppy disk drive (FDD)
- Right-click on the FDD in Windows, then click Format...
- Fill out the options, make sure that either "Make an MS-DOS startup disk" or "Copy system files" (I forget which) is selected
- Copy fdisk, xcopy, move, format, etc. to the floppy disk. I forget where these are located, but if you search for format.exe or format.com you should find it (CTRL-F), i think it might be in C:\windows\command, or something.. hmmm.
- Boot from the floppy, then try format C:.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, and I hope this works for you :tazz:
splintax

moffe

moffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, thanks for the help ;)

I created a boot disk and restarted the computer, it worked and i got to the real DOS i wrote format C: and pressed enter but it just says "Bad command or filename"

i tested this a number if times but i must be doing something wrong.

This is the whole command i use in DOS:

A:\>Format C:

I have never used DOS before so i might very well be doing something wrong, it looks like i need some more help :tazz: . Does anyone know what i should do?

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
That's all you should have to do. But you have to make sure that you actually load the format command onto the disk. I'm back on my winxp machine, so I'll find out where that file is now... Running a search..

Okay the file you need is in C:\Windows\system32. So copy C:\windows\system32\format.com onto your floppy disk (It might be a hidden file) then try formatting. :tazz:

BobWerner

BobWerner

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
If you still have access to the internet go to: www.bootdisk.com
Select the Win98SE OEM disk and download it. Have a 3.5" floppy ready and run the executable. It will create a Win98 startup disk for you that has fdisk, format and sys on it.

After booting off this disk do the following:
1) at the A: prompt, type: fdisk /mbr then press return (resets the master boot record)
2) reboot with floppy in drive
3) type fdisk and press enter
4) display all partitions (I think it's number 4)???
5) Go to selection 3 (???) to delete partitions and select which one(s) you want to delete. You may have to do this more than once depending on number of partitions.
6) Confirm
7) reboot with floppy in drive
8) Type fdisk and press return. Select create dos partition. Use full hard drive (or partition it however you want)
9) When it asks if you want partition active say yes.
10) reboot with floppy in drive
11) format drive with format c: /u/s (an uncoditional format and loads system files). After it's finished take out floppy and reboot again.
12) reload operating system

You have to hit escape (ESC) to get back to the fdisk main menu. If you don't need the main menu (for example you've partitioned and just need to reboot) just press control-alt-delete and let the machine reboot.

Phasers on stun, good luck, Kirk out.

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I think it's kinda obvious he does have internet access :tazz:

moffe

moffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the help :tazz: everything works great now.

KAnst

KAnst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This question wasnt from me but the advise on the BOOTDISK.com was very helpful it worked perfect. Thanks Bob Werner

A. Lee

A. Lee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I experienced the same problems as Moffe. After moving the format.com file to my boot disk, I tried "format c:" from the A: prompt in DOS and got the following error: "Program can not be run in DOS mode". Any suggestions?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can format the disk by removing it from your machine and installing it as a slave on another machine. Then go to My Computer > right click the new drive, choose format from the menu that opens up.