Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing cpu ---- flush BIOS/CMOS

• Please log in to reply

kylnj

kylnj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi,

i had a dell inspiron 1100 with celeron 2.3 b4 and i replace the cpu with a p4m 1.6. testing show it run at 1.2G and it work fine most of the time(crush IE from time to time but mozella seems ok). lately i try to install a external security key(usb-like). but it fail with suggestion 'trying on a more stable system). so i put the old celeron 2.3 cpu back but fail to boot with no display at all.

according to dell i have to make a bootable bios upgrade cd and boot with the cd and then flush the bios/cmos to get it to work with old cpu.

anyone has any idea?

thanks

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi and welcome to G2G!!

The CMOS can be reset by taking the battery out and replacing it again which I don't recommend unless you know what your are doing. Also the problem with the USB has nothing to do with the CPU but maybe the Motherboard or you OS.

Soorena