Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Halting PC

• Please log in to reply

Bru:t

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

I have installed some new hardware into my computer: Sparkle nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3 and Inter-Tech COBA 500W PSU. I'm using Windows XP. And now I have these problems with my computer:
  • Visual Distortions
  • Halting PC
  • 100% usage of CPU
Visual Distortions shows up very often for couple of seconds. I am using adapter from DVI to VGA PC, 'cause my monitor has 15 pin plug, but I don't think that that is the reason. I've just noticed that when a distortion shows up - usage of CPU jumps up.
Usually computer halts on that blue screen with word "welcome". And then I have to reset it.
Talking about CPU usage - here I am surfing the net with FireFox and then - lag, 100% usage from nowhere.

I have installed the latest driver for video card.

Any ideas what is happening?

Cheers,
Brutus

Edited by Bru:t, 07 December 2007 - 04:58 AM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Did you install the driver from nvidia or from the sparkle company? Also, make sure that all of your peripheral cards are seated well. Any time I do work on my PC, my video card gets pulled slightly out and causes me some issues until I push it back in.

When your CPU jumps to 100%, what process is it that is taking up the CPU?

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 07 December 2007 - 06:26 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
I took new drivers from nVidia website. The ones in Sparkle are unavailable (broken links) and I was trying to find those in nVidia (I think it was 162.18), but they weren't there.

And the process - I think that is Explorer.exe ('I think' part because I can't really see what is written 'cause it's distorted).

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have found that I have done wrong, but thanks for help anyway. The problem is partly solved :)

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'm just curious, what was the problem?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, the problem is still there. :) I have left "FAN CONNECTOR" unplugged. That help in some way, but I'm sill having this problem.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I think you may have a bad DVI-VGA converter or a bad video card, but more likely the video card. If you switch bad to your old video card, does the problems go away?

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 08 December 2007 - 09:33 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't think that DVI-VGA converter would halt my computer.

The problem has started when I installed this new card. Before that was the integrated one and it was working fine...

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Sounds like you should RMA that video card :)

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Should I replace it with the same model or such things ar common for this model?

I have set buses with nTune - Core from 540 to 450 Mhz and Memory from 700 to 500 Mhz and the FAN up to 100% and now it is working better (don't know will it last).

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
The model is fine, but I'm sort of suspect of the company Sparkle. I've never heard of them or even seen them for that matter. I usually go with XfX or eVGA.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi.
I have changed the card. They gave me new one (Sparkle 8600GT 512 MB DDR2) and now it's working fine. I hope there will be such problem in future.
Thanks you all for helping hand.