Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me Distorted Desktop/mouse absent

• Please log in to reply

abicash

abicash

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I have a very old IBM thinkpad with Me running on it.
2 days back it started booting with
1)kb891711.exe causing error in system.
2)Cant see mouse pointer (using trackpad) and no sounds
3)Images all distorted.
4)Can boot into safe mode with mouse.Did disable kb891711 in startup and rebooted ,but the same thing.
5)Edited my system.ini to add "drivers=mmsystem.dll" in boot.
6)After this I can get sounds,but no mouse pointer. :)
7)I read a similar topic where i read some display drivers were needed from the net.But I dont have internet access on this one,I am typing thro' my desktop which is a pretty new m/c.
What can be done now?
:)
thanks in advance

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi abicash and welcome to GeeksToGo!

The IBM home computer division was taken over by the Chinese 'Lenovo' company in 2005, at which time they also took over technical support to the end user, including software updates and the driver library. You should find all the Windows ME drivers for your ThinkPad here:
http://www-307.ibm.c...p;validate=true

Edited by pip22, 07 December 2007 - 02:05 PM.

abicash

abicash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:) Hi Thanks for the link.I will check it and see whether I can find something which repairs my notebook.Otherwise I will wipe it and use a lean distro of linux ;ike DSl or Puppy.Anyways I like WinXP but not Me though!

abicash

abicash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Thanks Pip22,I installed video drivers from the link you gave me,as well as some more drivers(trackpoint,monitor,bios) etc.Now the Images are restored to good quality colour images with max resolution which my monitor supports.
But I am not able to see my mouse pointer yet.When I boot in safe mode I can work with my mouse(trackpoint) pretty good.
I removed the Trackpoint and IBM/PS2 mouse in my device manager.But on reboot,the OS is not searching for the HID mouse.
So I have no mouse pointer.What next?
Newayz thanks for being there.Much appreciated :)