Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building several PC's; Can I image one system and copy to all othe

• Please log in to reply

Jixy

Jixy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am building about 10 computers for a non-profit organization. The systems will include Windows XP volume license and therefore will have the same key (same for Microsoft Office suites). But in addition, I will be installing several games that they own, such as FarCry, Call of Duty 4, several other productivity programs etc.

My question is this... If all the computers (hardware) will be identical, can I just build and image one system and then copy it to all the rest? That would save me a lot of time installing and updating each system separately. If no, what other option do I have?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

J

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
While it is possible, i think you will run into problemswith hard drive serial numbers, etc and you will find most of the other computers you will not be able to activate the OS. Instead you need to look into microsofts open license agreements.

Microsoft Open License Charity Overview

The Microsoft Open License Charity program allows eligible nonprofit organizations to acquire multiple software licenses - rather than multiple software packages - at reduced prices. You need only purchase one complete software package and enough licenses to cover the remaining amount of computers.

Qualifying for Microsoft Open License Charity
To qualify for the Open License Charity program, charitable organizations must be qualified §501©(3) organizations as defined by the United States Internal Revenue Code. Organizations must demonstrate their tax status with documentation before they can open an Open Charity License agreement.

http://www.microsoft...harity_faq.mspx

SRX660

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I'm pretty sure this is possible since my school does this only with windows 2000 should be similar. The TDSB which is the Toronto District School Board controls our actions since all of our accounts are said to be linked to one super computer. The computers are old and have a mounted drive which hides the C drive that will stop us from downloading stuff on to it. Then we have a thing called a home drive which is 50mb that we store our stuff on.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 08 December 2007 - 01:29 PM.

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Well I'm pretty sure this is possible since my school does this only with windows 2000 should be similar. The TDSB which is the Toronto District School Board controls our actions since all of our accounts are said to be linked to one super computer. The computers are old and have a mounted drive which hides the C drive that will stop us from downloading stuff on to it. Then we have a thing called a home drive which is 50mb that we store our stuff on.

Soorena

off topic, but i see ur in toronto :)
what school do u go to?
i go to Newtonbrook :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I live in Scarborough. I go to Sir John A MacDonald

Soorena