Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure Vista 64 or 32 bits or get xp?

• Please log in to reply

lreyes66

lreyes66

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well im building a new computer next week, ordering the parts tomorrow. But i just can figure out if i should get vista 64 or 32 or Get Xp..... Im getting 2 gbs of ram to start out with but i plan to mabe upgrade it even more in the future and I know that 32bit vista max mem is 4gb (i looked it up and it doesnt use ALL 4 gb). All of the hard ware i will order for my pc is new an all compatible with 64 bit but the things thats making me question about the 64 bit is that im keeping from my old pc's wireless Network card which is my nifty Linksys Wmp54gx (i searched online and its not compatible with 64bit vista) and some files of mine. Well im not really worried about my files really because the only things im saving are my music, photos, and import doc's. I also like my wmp54gx cuz its fast and never loses connection with the router thats up stairs, buying a new one that can compare to the performance is somewhat hard and $$$ (which i already have problems with as posted about in a dif section here). Right now i really dont know what kind of windows i have, all i know is that its home edition because it came with my hp pc, NO CD :). The reasons why i want vista is so that i can get the new features, direct x10, and well overall upgrade.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi,

Can you list your full specs so that I can see if its worth getting 64-bit? Thanks

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I find it odd that your wmp54gx would be incompatible with 64-bit Vista, when my wmp54gs (nearly identical product) worked fine for me; Vista even installed drivers for it by itself.

Also, as for your old files, they all will work on 64-bit Vista unless they use a very old 16-bit program. However, none of your basic music, photos, and documents should require such a program.

Also, to determine what type of Windows you have (are you sure you are technically inclined enough to build your own computer? :)), go to My Computer, then go to File>Properties. It should say somewhere on there.

To SOORENA, I was wondering what specifically you were looking for in his specs. He said he was planning to get at least 4GB of RAM at some point, and that his CPU was 64-bit compatible, so what else could you be looking for?

Edited by stettybet0, 07 December 2007 - 08:03 PM.

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi,

Can you list your full specs so that I can see if its worth getting 64-bit? Thanks

Soorena

same as the last stuff i posted http://www.geekstogo...r...30&start=30

except

Prcessor:

MoBo

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I still don't see what your specs (other than a 64-bit CPU and the amount of RAM, as I previously stated) have to do with anything.

Basically, get 64-bit if you want to make your system more future-proof and be able to use 4+GB of RAM. Get 32-bit if the above reasons aren't important to you, or you have older programs or hardware which require it.

Of course, if you buy a retail package of Vista, it comes with both the 64-bit and 32-bit DVDs, so you can try out both. :)

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I still don't see what your specs (other than a 64-bit CPU and the amount of RAM, as I previously stated) have to do with anything.

Basically, get 64-bit if you want to make your system more future-proof and be able to use 4+GB of RAM. Get 32-bit if the above reasons aren't important to you, or you have older programs or hardware which require it.

Of course, if you buy a retail package of Vista, it comes with both the 64-bit and 32-bit DVDs, so you can try out both. :)

Yes thats another way to put why i wanted vista..future proof xD....i just wished linksys would make a driver to make the wmp54gx comptible... i like cuz you can move the antenna stand were ever and i never get d/c :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Like I said, my WMP54GS worked with 64-bit Vista as soon as I plugged it in, no Linksys drivers required. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with your very similar Linksys product.

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
mmm if i get xp home for my next pc i wouldnt be able to upgrade to 64 bit vista in the future huh

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sure you could. If you install XP now, when you want to upgrade to Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) you could simply install Vista and get rid of XP, or create a separate partition for Vista and dual-boot with both of them.

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Sure you could. If you install XP now, when you want to upgrade to Vista (32-bit or 64-bit) you could simply install Vista and get rid of XP, or create a separate partition for Vista and dual-boot with both of them.

even if i get a oem version and not retail? i heard you would have to get a new mobo if i wanted differnt version

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Both of these scenarios would be possible with (an) OEM version(s) of XP and/or Vista. You most certainly do not need to get a new motherboard in order to install a new operating system. That doesn't even come close to making a remote amount of sense.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Both of these scenarios would be possible with (an) OEM version(s) of XP and/or Vista. You most certainly do not need to get a new motherboard in order to install a new operating system. That doesn't even come close to making a remote amount of sense.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head when it comes to Microsoft's licensing requirements :) If you get the retail version, there is no problem.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

I find it odd that your wmp54gx would be incompatible with 64-bit Vista, when my wmp54gs (nearly identical product) worked fine for me; Vista even installed drivers for it by itself.

Also, as for your old files, they all will work on 64-bit Vista unless they use a very old 16-bit program. However, none of your basic music, photos, and documents should require such a program.

Also, to determine what type of Windows you have (are you sure you are technically inclined enough to build your own computer? :)), go to My Computer, then go to File>Properties. It should say somewhere on there.

To SOORENA, I was wondering what specifically you were looking for in his specs. He said he was planning to get at least 4GB of RAM at some point, and that his CPU was 64-bit compatible, so what else could you be looking for?

Sorry I didn't notice you asked, I didn't know his specs so I just wanted to see if its even compatible with 64-bit, thats pretty much it, Oh and if it was a CPU that was really bad like an Athlon 3800 then it wouldn't make a world of a difference if you get 64 bit or 32 bit.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a lot of software and hardware that have poor support for 64bit OS as of yet, so if you want to avoid an extra head ache, avoid a 64bit operating system. Though, support has drastically improved over the past year as the market continues to grow.

I didn't know his specs so I just wanted to see if its even compatible with 64-bit

There have been 64bit CPU's since the early 1990's, regardless of what AMD claimed (yes, another marketing gimic). An example, N64 ran on a 64bit processor.

Oh and if it was a CPU that was really bad like an Athlon 3800 then it wouldn't make a world of a difference if you get 64 bit or 32 bit.

A CPU shouldn't have any effect on whether or not you get a 32bit or 64bit operating system. A newer processor will have no additional advantages on a 64bit OS that it would not have on a 32bit OS.

I believe the OP is a little confused here, OEM operating systems are directly linked to your motherboard. If you have a OEM license and want to swap your motherboard, you need a new license.

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 07:46 PM.

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i feel like adding more mem to my pc (even though the parts havent even came in the mail yet) If i do decide to get more mem sometime soon should i get another 2 gigs pc6400 (2 x 1gb) so i have 4gigs total or just add 1g (2x 512mb) since xp doesnt really take the full 4 gig.