Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer booting problem

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Steve

You can use the xcopy command for copying files and sub-folders. The syntax is:
xcopy source destination /S /H
The /s switch will copy sub-folders, and the /h switch will copy system/hidden files.

NB If you're copying the XP files over, then you need the entire contents of the i386 folder
EG
md c:\i386
xcopy d:\i386\*.* c:\i386 /S /H

If you're copying the windows 98 files however, then all you need is the win98 folder (without any sub-folders) so you can use the standard copy command instead if you wish
EG
md c:\win98
copy d:\win98\*.* c:\win98

NB d: is the drive letter of the CDROM - this may of course be a different letter on your machine

RE. DOS diagnostics...
Unfortunately that are very few that are not windows based, and most of them cost money. I would suggest you try memtest86 though - this is free, DOS based and very reliable although it will only test the RAM.

Download it from here:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Select the 'download - pre-compiled memtest86 v3.4 installable from Windows & DOS' option.

Once it's downloaded, extract the files and run install.bat.
This will create a bootable floppy disk containing memtest. When you run memtest it performs a number of tests and these will take a while, depending on the amount of ram in the machine (I strongly recommend, if you have more than one stick of ram, then test them individually by removing the rest temporarily)

Advertisements

Steve McCarron

Steve McCarron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Samm. Good evening. I will down load the memtest program you mentioned in your last post. I aquired another 1.67 gig processor today and have installed in in the machine. Still will not loasd windows. I will get back to you after the Memcheck is run.

Many thanks for your assistance

STeve

Steve McCarron

Steve McCarron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Samm: Ran the memtest program. Ram seems fine according to the program. Guess we are going to have to asume that there is a problem on the motherboard. I thought it might have been the power supply, so I changed that our with a known good one, the problem persists. Guess it is time to get looking for a replacement board.

I would like to thank you very much for helping me out with this problem. You have given me great insight as to how to test all this stuff that makes these computers all work. I have managed to find another box from a fellow at work, so I will concentrate my time on that for now. It at least allowed windows to install on the same hard drive from the other machine, so I know the drive is fine.

Have a great day, and all the best.

Cheers

Steve

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Steve

Glad to know I've been of some help to you - you're very welcome. Let me know if you have any futher problems with the new machine

Kind regards

Samm