Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop battery won't fully charge!

• Please log in to reply

vision2000

vision2000

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
I have a dell 300M from a few years ago. About couple months ago the original battery stopped charging so I bought a replacement battery which, when at 100%, was able to last about 4-5 hours. But lately it will only charge up to 33% which will only last about 50 minutes. Does anyone know why? :)

Attached Thumbnails

• powerdialog.jpg

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
First, your computer is already a few years, which means it's gonna need more maintainence.

About the battery, I do think it's a reject. Might be that the battery is not made properly, causing parts of it not to be charged with electricity. Try bringing it back to the shop and ask them to check it out, if you have the receipt I do think they will change a new one for you.

Hope it helps. :)

~Kelvin

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Running your laptop on mains power on a regular basis for hours at a time without removing the battery will also send the battery to an early grave caused by overcharging.

vision2000

vision2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Wow, I didn't know that I should remove the battery while on AC power. I do that all the time! As for Kelvin's suggestion of sending it back to the shop, I don't think I have the receipt nor the name of the shop. I ordered it via the internet from some online battery store. Though it has only been 2-3 month, I guess the battery is wearing out quicker than I expected. Thanks for the info, guys!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Oh. Then my suggestion for you is to use your battery properly. No warranty means no repairs. You'll have to buy another new one in case it spoils.

Oh yes. Another tip. If you want to plug the laptop onto AC, pull out the battery first. 2 reasons:

1.) Won't overcharge the battery.
2.) Can just pull out the plug in case your mum happens to come in =D

~Kelvin