Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finding out what I have installed

• Please log in to reply

Magnet

Magnet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need to reinstall windows on a new hard drive after a virus wiped out an important file. Thats no problem, however, i would really like to know exactly what I have installed on that drive, so as not to miss something when I am reinstalling it all.

I can't access the list from "Control Panel -> Add/delete Programs" (sorry if it sounds a bit strange, I am an English speaker but I am using a different language version of Windows, so my translations may not be 100% accurate :) ) because the operating system seems to be stuck in a reinstall loop (meaning when it boots now, it goes straight into the install routine, because I tried fixing the install but I needed a couple of files that seem to be gone, and I had no idea where I could get them from. So the reinstall had to be cancelled). But I have another hard drive i can connect, and through that one I can access all the partitions on both drives.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, is there a way to access the list of installed programs from another document stored somewhere in windows, a text file or a registry that would tell me what i have installed?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What OS are you running?
Have you tried a repair install on that drive?
Are you sure the virus is gone?

CCleaner (in my signature) will list the programs that are in the add/remove (on the functional drive only). If you are trying to find the programs on the drive (I assume) that you have hooked as a slave, I don't think there is a way other than just looking at all the folders.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Installed programs are all listed in the Windows Registry sure enough, but you can't access it unless that particular install of Windows is actually running. With older versions of Windows, the Registry was made up from a combination of two system files which could be accessed even when that Windows installation would not run. With XP, however, the Registry has been rebuilt from the ground up and can't be accessed in that manner.

Magnet

Magnet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, thanks for the replies, it will have to be the 'hard' way then :)

Ghost66

Ghost66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Download and Run Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com (program is so small that it even fits on a floppy)

It will give you a very Detailed Profile (OS, Processor, Memory, HD size and free space, BIOS, Software Installed. Etc.) right on your Web Browser that you can print.

Very good when you have to get tech support.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
See this post by Ax238 List of installed software

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
He has no OS access to the HD that he is trying to get the list of programs off of. If I read his post correct, the OS wont boot, so he can't install programs (belarc). Good thought though.