Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to install XP on new SATA 250GB

• Please log in to reply

Coffeegeek

Coffeegeek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently taken out old SATA hard drive, replacing with new SATA 250GB which attaches to motherboard. When I boot up, I get the black screen with option to go into BIOS after the Dell screen comes up. I have changed the boot order to floppy, USB, and CD ROM all of which I had prepared as boot disc. None seem to work. My only way around is using my restored data that I put on Acronis 10 - able to access using external hard drive. My goal is to install NEW copy of XP which I have on CD (not able to access it). In my reading here on posts, a number of people appear to have similar problems, but are able to boot up from floppy.
System - XP Home, Dell 4700, SATA 250GB.
I hope I've given enough (clear info.) here.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Let me clarify a little.... you are unable to boot to the xp cd or the cd once booted doesn't see the hard drive?

Coffeegeek

Coffeegeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Let me clarify a little.... you are unable to boot to the xp cd or the cd once booted doesn't see the hard drive?

Apologies for the tardy reply, but I was able to finally get it working.