Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded computer and no BIOS

• Please log in to reply

jammer1001

jammer1001

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yesterday I upgraded my motherboard and psu. When I turn the computer on I hear one beep (Which has since I first built it) and every thing powers up, I hear the HD, the cpu fan spins, I can feel the fan on the video card, and I see a LED on the MoBo light up but all I see on my screen is black. No BIOS, nothing. One of my friends said the motherboard may have been doa but I doubt it.

my specs now are:

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard:http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131142
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ700 700W PSU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817814015
2 512MB Patriot DDR2 667 240pin RAM sticks: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220070
XFX GeForce 7950GT 512MB: No link
Intel Pentium D 920 Presler 2.8GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116237
80gb HITACHI HD: No link

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Swap the old mobo back in. If it fires up with your original board again then I would say that the new one is DOA.

Edit: Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 December 2007 - 12:31 PM.

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thats kinda the reason I got a new mobo, the old one was dead.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I'm getting a new mobo definitely since this one has died 3 times on me and the guys at Canada Computers aren't too happy since they replace my warranty after every time it dies, Lol. Although when mine dies the PSU fan's LED comes on for a second and then nothing happens. If this isn't the case with yours then I doubt that its dead.

Soorena

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think that you may have proved here that your old MOBO was not the issue or was only one of multiple issues. The issue you describe I find to be RAM in many cases. Do you have some sticks you can drop in to test or another computer you can put your sticks in to verify that they are in working order?

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a friend that has the same mobo as me and I hope I can get him to let me do a few tests.

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
UPDATE! I got BIOS! But there is a new problem now....I unhooked everything except the cup and the video card and began to move one stick of RAM from slot to slot, and all of a sudden I turned it on and BIOS came up. So I then hooked the HD back up and I got windows to boot but then after a minute the computer shut off and now either I will get that black screen or it will start to boot and about half way through, shut off... I'm at a loss here and I don't know what to do now...

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, now when I try to boot up windows I get to the point where it asks me if I want to start in safe mode, last known setting that worked, ect. but right after I choose any one of the system powers down. I can stay in BIOS as long as I want, but I cannot get to windows.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Have you reinstalled windows from scratch? Because since your hardware has changed it has to be reinstalled to adapt to your new hardware ID.

Soorena

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, but I had this same problem with the old mobo.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Can you try and reinstall it or is that not an option?

Soorena

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well now I'm going to have to, I hooked it up to my friends computer and formated it so now all I have to do is finish installing windows on it and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Edited by jammer1001, 09 December 2007 - 02:52 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes this should probably fix the problem as it is a software issue now than a hardware problem.

Soorena

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
*Smashes head on wall* It got to 51% and shut down and every time I try to get back and install windows it shuts down.....

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just for giggles, go to the HD manufacturers site and download the test diagnostics. lets at least ensure that the drive is ok by their standards.

http://www.techspot..../topic7602.html