Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgraded computer and no BIOS

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Just for giggles, go to the HD manufacturers site and download the test diagnostics. lets at least ensure that the drive is ok by their standards.

http://www.techspot..../topic7602.html

Yes that would be nice if his PC was working but in this case its not unless he takes the hard drive and puts it in his friends computer which in that case it would work. Also make sure that nothing is overheating cause this is one of the main reasons computers shut down, that OR not enough power which I don't think is the case here.

Soorena

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Then I am confused because in a previous post the comp would stay on at bios

I can stay in BIOS as long as I want, but I cannot get to windows.

If he has a floppy or CD, he can use the HD manufacturers test program to verify. If I am wrong, then I am sorry.

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't have any blank cds. Also it cant be the heat, I have the room my computer is in at 66F or lower and I bought a brand new cpu fan also.

Ok, the windows installation gets to installing updates and then the system just powers down. I don't know, and its driving me crazy...

Edited by jammer1001, 09 December 2007 - 08:29 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The only way that seems to work is that every time it does something different so I guess keep trying till it works, lol.

Soorena

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well its not the HD, I just tried another one and it shut off after 100% also. So the only thing left that I haven't changed is the RAM, CPU, and cd/dvd drive. Well I guess I give up for today, maybe tomorrow will hold the answer.

Edited by jammer1001, 09 December 2007 - 09:46 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
If it reached 100% then isn't it done? Shouldn't it restart and load up normally?

Soorena

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Did you ever get a chance to try some known to be working RAM in the machine?

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, it has to install other features and updates and while installing them it shuts down.

And no I haven't gotten to try and new RAM but I may take it in to a shop so they can run tests because I cannot take this headache.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I usually advise against that kind of thing. The lowest repair price I have seen is $40 just to look at the machine and $100+ is not uncommon. For those kinds of prices you can buy replacement parts and try them out. In the end you will have accomplished something as well if you manage to repair it yourself.

It is your call.

If you do take it somewhere, please, let us know the verdict.

Edited by Titan8990, 10 December 2007 - 03:11 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

I usually advise against that kind of thing. The lowest repair price I have seen is $40 just to look at the machine and $100+ is not uncommon. For those kinds of prices you can buy replacement parts and try them out. In the end you will have accomplished something as well if you manage to repair it yourself.

It is your call.

And they usually don't have a clue of what they're doing. We had a video a couple of weeks ago on the main page regarding this. Some guy even mentioned a room that costs $2000 to get to and once there you still had to pay more. Heck for $2000 I would build a new PC, lol.

Soorena

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

It is your call.

And they usually don't have a clue of what they're doing. We had a video a couple of weeks ago on the main page regarding this. Some guy even mentioned a room that costs $2000 to get to and once there you still had to pay more. Heck for $2000 I would build a new PC, lol.

Soorena

And they didn't even fire the guy that said that the customer needs to send the hard drive to some "room" in Toronto (can't remember where specifically). But the room he's referring to is a dust free room where a tech can recover the customer's data that's in the hard drive that'll cost $2000. The weird thing about this is that he was actually copying the customer's data onto his laptop (no consent from the customer too) and of course there is no such thing as "dust free room" specifically used for retrieving data. The company didn't fire him because of good feedback the guy has gotten from other customers.

So I suggest watching that video first, something about "gouged by geeks" and ensure you bring your computer to a reputable shop.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
So are you guys suggesting he just leave it there and do nothing? While there are defiantly duds out there, you cannot assume that no one knows what they are doing. There are shops out there that know what they are doing, specifically local shops (excluding big box stores) which have a harder time earning a good reputation, so they normally have knowledgeable staff.

jammer1001, can you do a number of things for me.
-Firstly, just because your room is cool doesn't mean your hardware is going to be cool. Please remove the CPU heasink, clean off all the thermal paste, reapply the thermal paste and remount the CPU heatsink. Have you ever applied thermal paste before? Do you need suggestions on how to do it?
-Double check that the video card fan is indeed running, they tend to die without warning.
-Next, one of the sticks of RAM could be faulty, I suggest trying trying to install windows with only one stick in your motherboard and see what this produces.
At this point in time, I believe it's a heat related issue, but there is no way of finding this out without a little trial and error.
James

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Along with the new MoBo I got a new CPU fan and a tube of arctic silver, and yes I know how to apply it.
Yes the video card fan is blowing, just as good as the day I bought it and it also is clean.
And I do only have one stick of RAM installed atm because I cant get to POST or BIOS unless I have only one stick in and it has to be in the 3rd slot.
But other than that I have had this computer in rooms with 100F+ temp and had no problems and with the old PSU there were a lot more wires everywhere.

Now heres the thing that gets me, if I am in BIOS my system will not shut off but and any given time after I leave BIOS and try to boot it may crash (It did this before my old MoBo died and I didnt know why then)

Thanks for the help guys, really, thank you.

ps. I also think its going to be afew days before I can get it to a shop, I just don't have time to run around to places.

jammer1001

jammer1001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ISSUE RESOLVED! Well I noticed while looking at the box my CPU fan came in that I had mine installed wrong, so I took it out and while I was at it I cleaned the CPU and reapplied some Arctic Silver and BAM its working now.

Thanks for the help guys.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade to hear you have resolved it.
James